Wings 3D Development Forum
Welcome to the new fourm! - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Welcome to the new fourm! (/showthread.php?tid=5)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Welcome to the new fourm! - DaremoK3 - 11-17-2012

Thank you optigon, and the rest of the decision makers for the new site.

Love it way more than the Yuku site. Happy to be rid of my old crappy moniker Yuku stuck me with linked to a different (deceased) forum as well.

Ahhhh... a fresh start. Feels good, and clean.

Good to see the usual suspects as well.

Take care all...
Ken

RE: Welcome to the new fourm! - Fonte Boa - 11-17-2012

Once i searched for ways to download entire sites and really there are tools for this. Therefore i remember it is easiest for the website administrators than for common users. Why not download gradually the old yuku wings forum and make this an archive?

My first google search (for sure there is someones around that know more about this):
http://www.google.com.br/#hl=en&q=download+entire+website+free+tools&oq=download+entire+website+free+tools&gs_l=serp.12...4074.11912.0.12527.11.11.0.0.0.0.414.2053.3j3j3j1j1.11.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.jS2WEKbtxXc&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=264c0e93ffa40f3&bpcl=38625945&biw=1093&bih=487

RE: Welcome to the new fourm! - TulipVorlax - 11-18-2012

Hi all. Biggrin

RE: Welcome to the new fourm! - Stem - 11-23-2012

Hello optigon Smile

(11-07-2012, 05:11 PM)optigon Wrote: Hope you like the new forum.

Much better. I no longer have to go on the defensive to block all the re-directs/scripts.

Very nice to see you actively involved with development again.

Best Regards,

-Stem

RE: Welcome to the new fourm! - Mary - 11-28-2012

Hi gang! Wings3D noob here! Smile

I've been reading the threads in here and have a couple of suggestions/questions.

In the plug-ins section, can someone make a sticky or something on the proper way to install plug-ins into W3D? Where do the files go, do we extract them into a specific folder in W3D...ect. Unless of course, this info is already posted somewhere and I missed it! (in which case, please lead me to it? Smile )

Make an introduce yourself thread? I am posting in this one as I wasn't sure where I should post to intro myself to the rest of you and maybe give you an idea of how green I am with using a program such as this one! lol

I have been using Sketchup to create content for 3D Worlds, but as easy as it is, it is also very limiting.
Now you'll understand why using the keyboard and entering numerical information into a modelling program is kind of foreign to me, and I need to learn how to wrap my head around that part! O.o
(apologies in advance if I later post a gazillion questions! lol)

Links to useful information you might think would benefit my learning would be appreciated too!

Thanks for reading my dreadful post! Biggrin

Mary

RE: Welcome to the new fourm! - oort - 11-29-2012

Mary,
Welcome to Wings3D and the new forum.

You could start an introduce yourself thread in the Off Topic section of the forum. Who knows... maybe others will tell a bit more about themselves... Smile

Ask as many questions as you like. It is good to try to figure the simple stuff out yourself. Your questions may help us to know what sort of things need to go in the new Wiki optigon got started for us.

I used Sketchup after I had used Wings3D for a while. Sketchup is fun and great for architectural stuff. I have exported stuff as .obj from Sketchup and used it in Wings3D in the past.

Wings3D has its own method for moving around the scene, which I prefer. But if you are hooked on Sketchup camera mode then you can set that in your preferences... Edit > Preferences > Camera Tab > Camera Mode.

Installing plug-ins is so easy I don't know if optigon will want to add a sticky on the subject or not. Just go File > Install plug-in > Select the file.

If a special location is required the creator of the plug-in will usually say so. My YafaRay plug-in is in a zip file that you will have to extract first. After that, just select the yafaray.beam file and it will be installed into the plug-ins folder automatically.

I have never tried putting a plug-in in a .tar or .tgz or .gz file. I will need to see how that works. Sorry for getting off topic... Smile

Look in the "Interface and Usage" or the "Documentation Project" section of this forum for help. Also the old forum has lots more stuff in it. There is a link to that forum in the upper far right of this forum. If you want additional information about something posted in the old forum it would be good to ask here and post a link to the thread in the old forum.

oort

RE: Welcome to the new fourm! - Mary - 11-29-2012

Hi oort! Thank you for the welcome and the answers!

Re: Plugins. It was easy to install them! However (always a "however" lol) I had downloaded the collada export plugin. I extracted the files to my desktop. There were 4 files: wpa.beam, wpa.erl, wpc_collada.beam and wpc_collada.erl. I followed your instructions to load them into W3D. When choosing the files from my desktop, I could see the .beam files but not the .erl files. I have never seen the .beam and .erl extensions before, so I'm sure there's a reason that I don't know yet for not seeing the .erl ones. Anyways, I was able to get the wpc_collada.beam to install properly, but the wpa.beam file got an error message of: file wpa.beam is not a Wings plug-in module. So, I am sure I have to learn what and why on that. Hopefully, what I was able to install will allow me to export as .dae. (the file type needed for the work I do.) I do see it in the export options though.

I am glad you have used Sketchup before, because now at least someone will know what I'm talking about when I explain something. It just makes the communication so much easier.

It's funny you mentioned the camera mode! I must admit, I like fast and easy! Out of all the modelling programs I have tried, my first objection is usually the way you need to maneuver around your view! lol
I am going to try Wings the default way, but it's good to know I can change it if I can't get comfortable with it. I like using the mouse for everything, and not the keyboard, but I guess I need to grow up sometime, eh? lol
It also scares me when I don't see a pencil to draw with! That's a little intimidating to me. Seems a little odd that I am used to drawing things with lines and not just click on a box and bam, there it is! ><

YafaRay, when I learn what that is, I'm sure I'll be using it!

I have been reading the other forum, and reading some other tutorials that were linked from here and there. I do like to challenge myself to learn things BEFORE I ask my questions, so I promise I'll be doing a lot of reading and playing. It's usually when I get stuck on something so simple that I tend to panic then come crying for help! I really kinda hate it myself when someone asks me for help with SU and they haven't even downloaded it yet! lol (you know what I mean!)

Again, thank you for the welcome and answers! Now off I go to edumicate myself! Smile

(Oh, PS: I use SU for things it wasn't meant to make...like hair meshes and jewelery and non architectural things like that! Wink )

Ok, really, I'm going now! Biggrin

RE: Welcome to the new fourm! - oort - 11-29-2012

Mary,
The Collada plugin that you downloaded from my site is one of those with special instructions listed by the creator. If you look at the page where you downloaded the zip file you will see where I say to put the files... Smile

I guess I should add a readme file in the zip.

I will add a post about plug-ins in the development forum about this. If optigon or puzzledpaul want to sticky it they can. May or may not happen today.

The .erl file is actually the source code file that you do not need unless you plan to modify the plug-in and recompile it.

Wings3D comes with collada support. The one on my site has added the ability to set units. If you want to use that one, follow my instructions on the download site. Since you used the File > Install plug-in method, you may find the collada.beam file located in the plug-ins folder of Wings3D. If you have problems you will need to delete that one. You may be okay because I think Wings3D uses the first one it finds and the original one is lower down in the folders.... I hope this makes sense.

YafaRay is for rendering images. If I remember right, Sketchup used export image and you chose the image format. It has been a few years since I played with Sketchup... Sad

oort

RE: Welcome to the new fourm! - Fonte Boa - 12-03-2012

I've just posted a thread in CGTalk to report the new Wings3D forum and other resources.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=7472888#post7472888

edit: what about some of you post something there to promote Wings3D and bring new users to here? Smile

RE: Welcome to the new fourm! - Fonte Boa - 12-03-2012

I've did the same in Polycount.com forum:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1726357#post1726357

If each day some of you spend a little time to reply these threads about Wings3D in other forums, the topic will be more visible and bringing more people to here. Smile

EDIT: I've posted too in 3dtotal.com forum

http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=113617

Well this is my little contribution to Wings3D some marketing. Smile

In less than 3 hours, that thread in cgtalk received two replies and had 250 views!!!
I know everyone is busy and dont have many free time, but any testimony you wingers post there (or in the other ones) along next days will be really precious to invite people to enjoy Wings3D. Why not share the joy of modelling using Wings?! Wink