Wings 3D Development Forum
Aimed Keyboard Vertex Weld lacks Indicator - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gripes & Grumbles (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Aimed Keyboard Vertex Weld lacks Indicator (/showthread.php?tid=533)

Aimed Keyboard Vertex Weld lacks Indicator - VisualMelon - 12-30-2013

Howdy,

If you select (or aim at) a vertex and then (With the mouse) RMB|Weld it then the selected vertex is indicated clearly. However, if you just aim at it, and RMB|Weld via the Keyboard (bound to W on my setup), then it isn't indicated. If you select a vertex and use the Keyboard to RMB|Weld, it works just like with the mouse.

Tiny little niggle, but when I'm welding together models and accidentally hit W I end up getting very confused, because I can select the vertex I want to weld, but of course W doesn't then work again, and the discrete interface changes don't shout at me that I'm in the wrong mode.

Is this intentional or should it be indicated when using the keyboard? Seems like it's just a slight inconsistency.

RE: Aimed Keyboard Vertex Weld lacks Indicator - VladD - 12-30-2013

Good catch. I never realized this, indeed.

I'm no developper, but my guess is that it is intentional, since using aiming/higlighted elements as temporary selection(s) kinda goes hand in hand with the power-user workflow (where the user skips the left-click(s) to select initial and/or target elements, by instead just highlighting them with a mouseover and right-clicking to execute/go next step of the command).

RE: Aimed Keyboard Vertex Weld lacks Indicator - VisualMelon - 12-30-2013

Yeah, I can see the logic of that, but as the indicator is showing you are working on something rather than having it selected it seems a bit off. You'd also expect the RMB without selection to do the same (as with keyboard), but it doesn't here.

It's generally not a problem, but when I'm furiously welding stuff I do trip myself up from time to time.

RE: Aimed Keyboard Vertex Weld lacks Indicator - VladD - 01-01-2014

(12-30-2013, 07:06 PM)VisualMelon Wrote: It's generally not a problem, but when I'm furiously welding stuff I do trip myself up from time to time.
I hear you Smile
There is an indirect yet very fast way of welding points or stacked edges, and maybe you know about that already: in tweak mode, magnets off of course, just slide the verts very quickly until they "bump" over the ones you want them welded on, and when you think you've done the job just do an object 'cleanup' to effectively weld.

I do that quite often, if only because I'm now starting to be short on my keyboard real estate, to define custom hotkeys. ^^

RE: Aimed Keyboard Vertex Weld lacks Indicator - VisualMelon - 01-01-2014

I was not aware of this trick! I tend to avoid clean-up, feels like I've done something wrong if I have to - only recently got back into hobby modeling so I'll be seeing how I get it working for me Smile

I don't tend to use tweak mode much either and didn't even know how the slide mode worked, I'll have to try this out some more.

The trick works on virtual mirror edges as well, which is nice (still can't work out why weld itself doesn't). Thanks for the tip!