Wings 3D Development Forum
Text primitive - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gripes & Grumbles (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Text primitive (/showthread.php?tid=594)

Pages: 1 2

Text primitive - micheus - 02-16-2014

Have someone else noticed that we are not able to select a font under Windows 7?
What was bad (select by name) now is worst. Dodgy

RE: Text primitive - Justanother1 - 02-17-2014

It has to do with Administrator Privileges. I copied my Windows/Fonts folder over to another in My Documents, the just directed Wings3D to that folder. It works fine that way ...

RE: Text primitive - micheus - 02-17-2014

(02-17-2014, 12:38 AM)Justanother1 Wrote: It has to do with Administrator Privileges.
yeah. I know about that.

Quote:I copied my Windows/Fonts folder over to another in My Documents, the just directed Wings3D to that folder. It works fine that way ...
It'll work for sure, but that should not be the right thing to do. Don't you think?

RE: Text primitive - Justanother1 - 02-17-2014

Well yes of course, this is just a work-around for Now ...

RE: Text primitive - micheus - 02-19-2014

Well...
By trying I found a way to get the list of files in the Windows Open Dialog. That requires we use the "Old-Style Dialog Boxes":
[Image: wings3d_fonts_zps3b0897bf.png]
So, does someone else think that we could use that old style dialog in order to be able to see and select the font name on Windows 7 - don't care about how it looks like? (just for loading fonts)
Is there any objection?
I would like to purpose this workaround to dgud.

RE: Text primitive - oort - 02-19-2014

Micheus,
It wouldn't bother me. If you are able to select the font file and have it change the font that Wings3D uses it would be an improvement for Windows XP. With Windows XP, I can see the font files and select a new font but the font listed in the "Create Text" dialog doesn't change. I always have to type the font name in order for the font to change... Sad This has been a problem I have always had even in older versions of Wings3D.

Thanks,
oort

RE: Text primitive - Justanother1 - 02-19-2014

You know he's right, I remember having to type the name! It's been a while for me....

RE: Text primitive - micheus - 02-19-2014

(02-19-2014, 02:25 AM)oort Wrote: I always have to type the font name in order for the font to change... Sad This has been a problem I have always had even in older versions of Wings3D.
If it be accepted by dgud, you will never need to do that again! Smile
I tested it on my VM with XP Pro.

The best would be use the Font dialog because we would be able to preview the font shape during the selection.
Unfortunately, it's not safe to use it since Windows doesn't tell us about the file name of the selected font (just its face name). Get the file name requires look for it in the windows' register, but it's OS version dependent. So, that can become a problem in the future.

Done. Pull request #70

RE: Text primitive - micheus - 04-03-2014

It was accepted. Smile

RE: Text primitive - Fonte Boa - 04-04-2014

Congratulations for all the new stuff accepted, Micheus.
Do you have some idea about when the next Wings version will be released?