Wings 3D Development Forum
a small image glued to the save wings3d object - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: a small image glued to the save wings3d object (/showthread.php?tid=605)

a small image glued to the save wings3d object - koipetta - 03-08-2014

would it be possible to have an iconic image superimpose on the icons of the object save either in wings3d format or any others for that matter? It would be a blessing when you have to dig in large amount of objects ...Is it feasible ?

RE: a small image glued to the save wings3d object - micheus - 03-08-2014

koipetta, are you talking about this: embedding a thumbnail in a wings file?

RE: a small image glued to the save wings3d object - koipetta - 03-09-2014

yes, exactly. Was it ever done? For wings3d 1.5 64 ?

RE: a small image glued to the save wings3d object - micheus - 03-09-2014

As you should have noticed in that thread I was implemented only for Linux by KayosIII.

I thought to implement a version for Windows, but I found that there are some differences among the way to implement in for different versions of the OS. So, I decided to not spend time with it at that moment.

RE: a small image glued to the save wings3d object - koipetta - 03-10-2014

too bad,that would have been very useful. Thank you all the same. By the way, any one of you has news of ggaliens, seem a long while back we hear from him. I miss the mathematician.

RE: a small image glued to the save wings3d object - micheus - 03-10-2014

(03-10-2014, 04:58 AM)koipetta Wrote: By the way, any one of you has news of ggaliens, seem a long while back we hear from him. I miss the mathematician.
His current activity I know about. Smile

RE: a small image glued to the save wings3d object - Justanother1 - 03-10-2014

No, but here's a thought, if you make a small jpg, save it in the folder your file is in, name it the same (except the filetype) ... and order your folder by name ... not quite a thumbnail .. but would give you a preview ...... I need to do something like this!!

RE: a small image glued to the save wings3d object - koipetta - 03-10-2014

thank you,justanother1, i will try that.

RE: a small image glued to the save wings3d object - koipetta - 03-13-2014

(03-10-2014, 10:03 PM)koipetta Wrote: thank you,justanother1, i will try that.

No, it defeat the purpose of the request in the first place. Too long and cumbersome and the pipeline stop to a crawl.You see, when you do between 10 to 200 objects a day ranging from 10 k to 250 megs, it come to be a necessity to have an imbedded thumbnail with the save object.Opening a 250 megs object take forever...I would like this request move to the core of wings3d in some future version.

RE: a small image glued to the save wings3d object - Justanother1 - 03-14-2014

Well Yes Sir, I'm sure they'll get right on it! .........
Um actually I'm not sure this is possible. As I understand, the root program of Wings3d is hard coded C from the '90s, and hasn't ever been changed. The interface is done in Erlang, and these Great Guys developing are stuck with the Erlang side. They've done a great job adding customization and better access to the interface, and are able to script-string commands together to add functions like Sculpting and Tweak. They've even been able to re-build the package for 64-bit use, but it's still the old core program. I had a similar request a couple years back to be able to add several images in the texture folder, for use with the Environment Map Shader after seeing what was being done with Sculptris and Zbrush. But I was told then the same thing, and that the Grandcanyon.png image was named in the hard-code. You can keep several images in that folder, and rename them as you need them, but this all has to be done Manually. And further it's expecting a 512x512 PNG image.
On the other hand, Wings3d can take a Snapshot, does have some imaging tools and can save an image, although I'm not sure about the .ico filetype. So most of the tools are there ......