Wings 3D Development Forum
Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Documentation Project (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project (/showthread.php?tid=61)

Pages: 1 2

Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - optigon - 11-26-2012

Hi everyone,

I installed Mediawiki (Deleted) and Dokuwiki on the Wings 3D website to house the new Documentation Project.

To start adding content, all you have to do is register.

The syntax is the same as Wikipedia and Wikibooks, and there are lots of help pages available on how to get pages looking organised and professional.

I would have liked to have some guidelines in place before people get started, but as GreyTery says elsewhere, wikis evolve over time and are very sandboxy by design. Just keep in mind that the idea is to end up with a unified style, and that eventually some consensus on convention will evolve. So if at first there are a bunch of "stubs" and false starts, don't worry. At some point maybe we can freeze new additions and focus on cleanup and styling.

I'll say for my part, that I am not looking to lead this project, though I don't mind being part of the process.

My hope is that the Wings community will get behind this effort and make it happen. And if you are reading this, then you are part of the Wings community Wink

Here's the link to the Main Page for the Mediawiki site:
(Deleted)

Here is a link to the DokuWiki version of the Documentation Project:
http://www.wings3d.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start

RE: Wiki Created for the Documentation Project - oort - 11-27-2012

optigon,
I think I edited a line or two on a Wiki page a long long time ago??? I will try to contribute. If it is okay, I will do some copying and pasting from my Wings3D Handbook. Some stuff may need to be updated before I paste but most stuff should be the same.

Will we be able to have separate pages for specific topics, as mentioned earlier?

Should we start with the first page being a description of Wings3D with an index (Similar to what was described at the beginning of this thread... Documentation Strategy) that you or someone else controls? Can items in the index be clicked to send the user to the specific pages that would be edited by the Wings Community?

If that is possible, it might help to control the content???

If I am asking stupid questions it is because of my lack of experience with Wiki pages. Maybe pin a thread in this section of the forum with a few quick tips on creating content for the Wiki

oort

RE: Wiki Created for the Documentation Project - optigon - 11-27-2012

There are a lot of things to consider when making docs for sure. The important thing about wikis is you can't break anything. With every edit, a history of the previous version is stored.

However, I am having troubles with Mediawiki. I am getting a cached version of the source when I press Edit, instead of the current version.

I am going to try installing Dokuwiki, and see how that goes.

RE: Wiki Created for the Documentation Project - optigon - 11-27-2012

Here is a link to the DokuWiki version of the Documentation Project.
http://www.wings3d.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start

Syntax is a little different, but the page editor has buttons that insert syntax for common elements.

Part of the troubles I was experiencing with the Mediawiki site are also affecting DokuWiki, and both trace back to a Sourceforge hosting issue which they say will be fixed at some point. So if you get a 503 error, that is the reason. Part of the server stack includes a software called Varnish for handling cache. There is a problem with varnish and SF has resolved to remove it from the stack. Not sure when though...

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - oort - 11-27-2012

I tried to register using the register link next to login in the top right corner. I get the following error message after entering my user name, real name, e-mail address, and clicking register...

"Looks like there was an error on sending the password mail. Please contact the admin!"

Thanks,
oort

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - optigon - 11-27-2012

(11-27-2012, 08:09 PM)oort Wrote: I tried to register using the register link next to login in the top right corner. I get the following error message after entering my user name, real name, e-mail address, and clicking register...

"Looks like there was an error on sending the password mail. Please contact the admin!"

Thanks,
oort

Looks like I forgot to setup the dummy sender email.
You are signed up regardless and may sign in Wink

There was no field for entering a password and I did not receive an e-mail with my password... Sad

oort

(11-27-2012, 08:28 PM)oort Wrote: There was no field for entering a password and I did not receive an e-mail with my password... Sad

oort

Okay, I think it's sorted out now.
Did you get an email with the new pw?

Thanks for the report!

Not yet... Sad Should I try registering again???

oort

I will have the mail server fixed very soon, and you will receive an email with a pwWink

Thanks for helping me debug!