Wings 3D Development Forum
Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Documentation Project (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project (/showthread.php?tid=61)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - optigon - 11-28-2012

In case others are interested, DokuWiki registration is now working.

People who are interested in working in Dokuwiki should know that there are Namespaces and Pages.

Namespaces are like Folders.
Pages are like Files.

These types give us ways to organise the documentation.

I've started a Namespace and Page here:

http://www.wings3d.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=general_overview:table_of_contents

Code:
http://www.wings3d.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=general_overview:table_of_contents

Looking at the syntax of url above, 'general_overview' is the namespace, while 'table_of_contents' is the page. Notice that they are separated by a colon.':'.

To create a Namespace or Page, you simply point your browser to the address you want to create, and then Create Page. If the new page is in a new Namespace, then it is create too.

Use the Sitemap link on the Dokuwiki page to see all the Namespaces and Pages.

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - micheus - 11-28-2012

Nice to see that Export to PDF will make possible to have an off-line content.

I hope someone can start filling it. Smile

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - oort - 11-28-2012

optigon,
I got the e-mail with the password and now I am able to login. Thank YOU for taking all the time to get this working.

oort

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - greytery - 11-30-2012

Dokuwiki Registration/email works.

Suggestion: Now that the Dokuwiki is set up and has even got content(!!!) - perhaps uninstall the Mediawiki pages to avoid confusion, and remove refs to it. I note that it's been visited 70 times or so - but you'd hardly know Confused
The Mediawiki stack is more complex to manage, relying on MySQL etc., while Dokuwiki has no dB to manage. (What's the smiley for KISS?)

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - optigon - 12-01-2012

(11-30-2012, 07:13 PM)greytery Wrote: Dokuwiki Registration/email works.

Suggestion: Now that the Dokuwiki is set up and has even got content(!!!) - perhaps uninstall the Mediawiki pages to avoid confusion, and remove refs to it. I note that it's been visited 70 times or so - but you'd hardly know Confused
The Mediawiki stack is more complex to manage, relying on MySQL etc., while Dokuwiki has no dB to manage. (What's the smiley for KISS?)

I started to favour Dokuwiki too Smile
I like the simplicity and the over all appearence of the final page.
Mediawiki has been removed.

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - greytery - 01-18-2013

Hmmm. Looked at Start[] lately?
Looks like some naughty little child has left its grubby lickle finger-marks over the Dokuwiki.

Need to set up Dokuwiki ACL access control I fear.

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - optigon - 01-19-2013

(01-18-2013, 02:30 PM)greytery Wrote: Hmmm. Looked at Start[] lately?
Looks like some naughty little child has left its grubby lickle finger-marks over the Dokuwiki.

Need to set up Dokuwiki ACL access control I fear.

Seems so.

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - greytery - 02-04-2013

Thanks to Optigon for his patience and permissions; I now have edit access to the Dokuwiki.

I've managed to upload a couple of pages to the Wings3d Dokuwiki - but it's getting frustrating. The server is giving VERY POOR RESPONSE and 503's. Even if some pages download, the graphics time out.

Is it just me???

Dokuwiki itself is not the likely cause of the sluggish performance - I have a domesticated Dokuwiki stack in a playpen here at home which I'm using to build some docs. Seems well behaved.

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - oort - 02-04-2013

greytery,
I just tried to view it and I have the same problem. Sometimes the main page will come up but sub-pages never open up. I get the 503's. I used to be able to open up all the pages.

Glad to see you are trying to work on this project.

oort

RE: Test Wikis Created for the Documentation Project - greytery - 02-05-2013

oort,
I'm having fun with the words; mostly from the old Manual, and also adding in some of the stuff you wrote. It's being test-built on a home Dokuwiki. There's a long way to go but it's getting there. It can only be aimed at the basic, getting started, intro level (because I know nothing) - and there's a whole bunch of other material that more knowledgeable Wingers can fill in.

As a wiki it's really a sandbox, for comment, development, etc.
We've already had several attacks on the pages by the usual @%$~!!'s - so optigon has put up the shields.

Perhaps move the material when it's been reviewed up onto the Wordpress documentation section of the Wings3D website proper. At least there do not appear to be serious performance problems there, and it (appears it) is less vulnerable.

But if a) I cant get the stuff up to the server and b) no-one can read it anyway then c) need to rethink.

This is hosted on Sourceforge - right??
I've looked at postings of performance issues on SF and there are many (including normal throttling). Even a 'Preview Post' of this message on the Forum is hanging......
But then there are also a couple issues with Dokuwiki too. So it's not clear what the cause is.

greytery