Wings 3D Development Forum
A dialog for File->Merge - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: A dialog for File->Merge (/showthread.php?tid=615)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: A dialog for File->Merge - oort - 03-27-2014

Maybe "Object/light option" could be "Same name control" or "Same name management"???

"Replace objects with same name" could then be shortened to "Replace objects"

Edit: Have a good night and Thanks!

oort

When using "Merge Selected" with Materials, the material I expect to be merged in is not getting merged in. The material which was two (not counting textures) below the one I selected was merged in. But in another test it was not the material two down but another one. Haven't figured out a consistent behavior yet.... Sad

Can textures be filtered out of the list of material names?

Edit: Also noticed that rendered images are being merged in as well...

Thanks,
oort

RE: A dialog for File->Merge - micheus - 03-27-2014

(03-27-2014, 01:42 AM)oort Wrote: (1) Choosing Replace objects with same name deletes all objects. I was expecting only objects with the same name to get replaced....
It seems I fixed something before that create this new one.Undecided

oort Wrote:(2) I was expecting "Make all new light/object selected" to select the merged in objects. It does do that but I first have to select "Add to the Current" to make it work...
It's the "correct" behaviour, since it's combined with the radio buttons bellow to be interpreted and the first option is Keep current. It is supposed to enable the user combine the non selected objects being imported with any one selected in the current scene having that options.

oort Wrote:Also, as for how palettes should work... I would think that dgud would probably want default to be restored for new projects...
I think that I will make that fix in a separated branch. Thanks oort.

(03-27-2014, 01:50 AM)Fonte Boa Wrote: Replace Materials present in scene that have the same name of the Material being merged: i think this would be an interesting resource. Is that hard to code?
I need to check. The problem would be to assure the consistence, but only trying we will discover.

Fonte Boa Wrote:Anyway those "object/light option" could be enable to all elements, i agree too. (in this case, maybe it should has another name, but i dont know which one...)
I was thinking to put those options inside of each element's groupbox.?!

(03-27-2014, 01:59 AM)oort Wrote: (3) "Replace objects with same name" could then be shortened to "Replace objects"
I agree it should be enough.

oort Wrote:(4) When using "Merge Selected" with Materials, the material I expect to be merged in is not getting merged in. The material which was two (not counting textures) below the one I selected was merged in.
Thanks oort. I didn't test using textured objects. I'll try to figure out what is happen.

oort Wrote:Can textures be filtered out of the list of material names?
I'm not sure I understood your question, sorry.

oort Wrote:Also noticed that rendered images are being merged in as well...
Images was left as it is. I cannot know if the image was a rendered one or if user wanted leave it "alone" in the project.

I'll try to check what I can get from Images being merged and see what I can do to make it works better.

Thanks for your comments guys. Keep going! Biggrin

RE: A dialog for File->Merge - oort - 03-27-2014

Micheus,
By filtering out textures I meant that I am thinking that textures (images used as diffuse, bump, etc. for materials) should not be listed in the list of materials. Maybe I am wrong???

Maybe check with dgud to see if he would want the default palette to be restored in new projects. I almost never use the palette so I don't know for sure what would be best... Smile Sad

As for my question about "Make all new light/object selected"... I assume that one would check that option if they want the merged in objects to be auto-selected on import... if that is true then would it make sense that when that option is checked "Add to Selection" would be selected by default. Thinking about the coding it may not be possible since "Keep Current" should be the normal default. Just thinking out loud on this issue...

Thanks,
oort

RE: A dialog for File->Merge - micheus - 03-28-2014

I've numbered some items in the post #56. Here the answers:
(1) Fixed.
(2) I made it this way: if no selection came from the file being merged after you checking "Make all new ... Selected" the radio button is automatically switched to "Add to the current".
(3) I'm probably going to use "Replace elements" after assigning this option for each project element.
(4) I think I found the problem and fixed it.

(03-27-2014, 02:23 PM)oort Wrote: By filtering out textures I meant that I am thinking that textures (images used as diffuse, bump, etc. for materials) should not be listed in the list of materials. Maybe I am wrong???
doesn't it sounds strange? Images are not listed (yet), but if come to be I think to put into a separated groupbox.
But, if we are talking about the images used by materials not be shown in this new groupbox, then I think that it makes sense and it should be imported only if the material be imported too.

RE: A dialog for File->Merge - oort - 03-28-2014

Micheus,

About the images being listed in materials you are right that they are not. I wasn't looking close enough and was mistaking materials with a name ending with .jpg as being images even though they were materials and not images. Sorry for causing confusion... Blush

Thanks for the fixes. I will download and give it a try.

Thanks,
oort

I have done a quick test...

(1) Is fixed in my limited testing.
(2) Thanks!
(3) I see you shortened "Replace Objects" but not yet "Rename Objects". "Replace Elements" sounds good and could probably already be used.

(4) Sorry to say I am still getting the wrong material. I will e-mail you the file I am testing with. It is a messy file (not using proper material names, etc.). I test by only trying to merge in the "Marble" material. No objects, lights, views, etc..

Edit: I notice that when objects in the file being merged in are locked they cannot be "auto-selected" (make all new selected). This makes sense, but I wonder if it would be difficult to unlock them so that they can be "auto-selected" (make all new selected)???

Edit2: Maybe "Make all new object/light selected" could be renamed "Make all new Selection"???

Edit3: In the Palette_Glass test file I e-mailed you, no matter what material I choose "Aquamarine_glass gets merged in... Sad

Thanks,
oort

RE: A dialog for File->Merge - micheus - 03-29-2014

oort, thanks. Your files help me to find the problem.

I'm sorry bother you guys again with a dialog change, but since it seems to be necessary - and its change implies into code changes - I need you check it again, because I changed the labels a little too. Huh
[Image: merge_dialog3_zpsf4b7e939.png]
It'll become prepared to multiple selections in the future.

p.s. no beams update yet.

RE: A dialog for File->Merge - oort - 03-29-2014

Micheus,
Glad the files helped.

The dialog looks good. I would simply change "What merge" to "What to merge".

I look forward to testing the new beam... Smile

Thanks,
oort

RE: A dialog for File->Merge - micheus - 04-07-2014

New update available.

By selecting one item in the list the "What to Merge" switches automatically to "Merge Selected".

(03-28-2014, 03:04 AM)oort Wrote: Edit: I notice that when objects in the file being merged in are locked they cannot be "auto-selected" (make all new selected). This makes sense, but I wonder if it would be difficult to unlock them so that they can be "auto-selected" (make all new selected)???
I didn't play with this yet.
The field that hold that information is also used to inform about the object visibility. So, what do we want do about that?

Lets put the link for download here again: Merge Dialog - please test it.

RE: A dialog for File->Merge - oort - 04-07-2014

Micheus,
When I try to download, Google drive is asking me to sign in.... Sad

Assuming we would want locked objects to be unlocked, I would guess we would want them to be made visible as well???

oort

RE: A dialog for File->Merge - micheus - 04-07-2014

Thanks oort, I fixed the link.