Wings 3D Development Forum
Partial Selection - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Partial Selection (/showthread.php?tid=67)

Pages: 1 2

Partial Selection - philem - 11-27-2012

Hi Guys,
Can someone help me please?

Is there a way to select only a face or edges or even points from side on ?

I want to get into Wings and am trying a spaceship from a reference image I tried in Hexagon, the ref image is a top view and a side view so basically a lot of the extrusion and scaling is done from side on with the face/s that you cannot see.

So with the cube side on, is there a technique to marquee select the end of the cube and select that face that is on that side?, instead of having to keep rotating the cube to select that face then go back to the side or top view to extrude to the image.
Hope that made sense
thanks in advance

RE: Partial Selection - Fonte Boa - 11-27-2012

I hold [SHIFT] before begin to draw the marquee and keep it hold while drawing it: have you already tried it?

ps: you havent to necessarilly hold shift key BEFORE begin do draw the marquee: begin to draw the marquee and hold Shift at any moment before ends (this will prevent to select backface elements, verts, edges or faces)

RE: Partial Selection - philem - 11-27-2012

Hi Fonte,

I did try holding the shift key while drawing the marquee, it didn't work, it looks like you have to have some part of the face visible to the front, the same if you want to select all the edges or points on the side they need to be all visible to be selected.

Just another quickie if I may, Is it possible to assign hot keys to Extrude, Scale and move?

I looked at the "How to define Hotkeys" in the help menu but it didn't seem to work, I followed the instructions but after hitting the Ins key or the / key nothing happened.

RE: Partial Selection - ggaliens - 11-27-2012

If you use the marquee ... and get 4 more faces than you wanted ...
Hit Minus key to diminish the selection to 1. This will work for your
CUBE.

RE: Partial Selection - puzzledpaul - 11-27-2012

Couple of suggestions

Sometimes it's possible /convenient to select another element v/e/f that's connected / joined to the face you actually need - then grow (and / or change) the selection (press f or + key) to include the hidden face and de-select the other unwanted stuff (verts or edges often work better - and result in fewer unwanted elements to de-select ... imo)

Have you considered opening up a new Geom Window ... a small one ... just to use for selecting the faces you need. This window can be moved around above the main window -and if you place your cursor inside this small window to tumble the model as needed, the main window view won't alter.
Also, using View | Aim (A) on elements inside the smaller geom Windo w will allow you to easily navigate your way around the model.

pp

RE: Partial Selection - Fonte Boa - 11-27-2012

Sorry, i didnt read your initial question with attention...

<<So with the cube side on, is there a technique to marquee select the end of the cube and select that face that is on that side?, instead of having to keep rotating the cube to select that face then go back to the side or top view to extrude to the image.
Hope that made sense>>

(1) You can go to Window|New Geometry and position the new viewport in a confortable angle to select back cube face in a single click, without have rotate around the cube to do this

(2) Alternative way to select that back face cube in a single click without rotate viewport is to use Window|Selection Groups (plugin provided by Micheus), It allows you to use directly (single clicks) the top menu Select|Selection Groups commands: very useful for you and everybody. Smile

These are the two approachs i would use.

Coud you try them?

<< Is it possible to assign hot keys to Extrude, Scale and move?>>

Too any individual command and almost all their variants: you will Wings is great. Smile Today, Wings doesnt allow to hotkey an entire sequence.

<<I followed the instructions but after hitting the Ins key or the / key nothing happened.>>

If you hit INS, the info line at botton of Wings area have to inform you the next(s) steps to perform. Did you really follow all the info line instructions after you point to the command you want to shortcut and hit INS?

(i have to record a video about this...)

EDIT:
again but in a fresh forum we were typing together, Paul? :/

RE: Partial Selection - puzzledpaul - 11-27-2012

<< again but in a fresh forum we were typing together, Paul? >>

... and here's me needing my beauty sleep and you with many hrs left in your day Smile

hey ho

pp

RE: Partial Selection - Fonte Boa - 11-28-2012

<< here's me needing my beauty sleep and you with many hrs left in your day >>

yet considering some similarity here, dear friend Smile

You mentioned the most relevant, Paul: i would add View|Frame (hotkey Shift+A), View|Ortographic View (hotkey O turns on/off) and View|Reset (hotkey R) as useful commands in the situation.

View|Align to Selection is a must: well remembered!

RE: Partial Selection - philem - 11-28-2012

Hi ggaliens, I tried that, it worked I managed to get to the face I wanted by just hitting the "-key"

Hey Fonte, I am still new at Wings so do not quite understand a couple of the suggestions.
I downloaded the Selection Groups (plugin provided by Micheus) but don't know how to use it, at the moment (will get stuck into the manual)

"i would add View|Frame (hotkey Shift+A), View|Ortographic View (hotkey O turns on/off) and View|Reset (hotkey R) " I am not sure if this was another suggestion for my issue, but didn't understand it either ( have a lot of studying to do)

Also I did open another geometry window, It can work for what I am after but not very efficient.

RE: Partial Selection - puzzledpaul - 11-28-2012

(11-28-2012, 09:58 AM)philem Wrote: Also I did open another geometry window, It can work for what I am after but not very efficient.

In what way is it inefficient?

pp