Wings 3D Development Forum
My requests for some future Wings release - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: My requests for some future Wings release (/showthread.php?tid=69)

My requests for some future Wings release - Fonte Boa - 11-27-2012

Optigon,
Wings3D is very powerful as box modelling app and the great part of this funcionality is due imo to 4 people: Bjorn, Kaiosiii, Andrew Shpagin and you (of course there are many people in this history i cant forget, as the Bjorng - Wings creator [where is him?], Dgud, Scorpius, Napert, Elrond79 etc etc). I think Wings3D has a great future, specially for now with your return (and with wxerlang for example - Micheus tried explained me, but this isnt for non-coders... Smile )

I never will forget those gold months during which you recreated like a genius the kaios/shpagin Tweak and advanced Wings beyond certain limits: no one could believe it would be possible (for example, shortcut RMB/MMB commands, creating a Tweak specific Camera, etc). I wont forget and i was very happy for to be possible my participation (thanks for all your patience).

I know you have your own agenda about Wings3D and - if and when possible - it will be a pleasure to join some ideas aboutit, if they are pertinent, of course.

The intention of this post is to register my main requests (the principal points i would love to see implemented one day) for some future Wings3D release and specially ask you about the possibility of each of them: i would like know your opinion about these points and confirm if you reached (or not) some Wings code limit and if some of the following requests are impossible to implement without re-write Wings (just a curiosity this last point: maybe "rewrite wings" is just a legend Smile ).

Here they are:

(1) Shortcut a command so that Magnet (Alt+click) options becomes available at the moment the command is called by that hotkey (then user could read at info line: "Pick outer boundary point for magnet influence" and Alt+R for "Magnet options")

(2) Tweak|Rotate command

(3) An additional option to Edge|Slide so that two selected edge loops could be slided one in the direction of the other (converging one into the other) or in opposite directions (perfect for two edge loops, but not so simple to stablish if you have three or more selected edge loops or intersected edge loops)

(4) From a selected edge loop, a new command to create a "copy" of this edge loop by "slide" the selected one.

(5) A third Chamfer method (by a single command): at pic, the 1st one (left) was made by Edge|Bevel (there are another ways), the 2nd one (middle) by Edge|Extrude and the last one was made by hand, using various commands. (maybe by implementing this option to Face|Bump)
[Image: bevell.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(6) Return of Equidistant command: Circularise is really great but i think there is a place to Equidistant command (specially considering its ability to work with Edge Rings). Someone knows where is the original code? Ggaliens?

http://nendowingsmirai.yuku.com/topic/1853/Plugin-A-Week-April-3-Equidistant?page=1#.ULUiUbLdO3c

I thank you very much for your attention: very glad to see you back. I really would like to know your opinion about this.

RE: My requests for some future Wings release - puzzledpaul - 11-28-2012

+ Howard T ... original Tweak code
and
Wingsone (iirc) virtual mirror + orig vector code

(Clacos also had some useful plugins - but they never made the core)

pp

RE: My requests for some future Wings release - optigon - 11-29-2012

Not ignoring this thread, but not really sure how to reply either.

What I would like to address in Wings are things that bug me.
Boring stuff like menu organisation and workflow concepts... trying to get more out of the Wings we have.

For instance, Sweep bugs me. I love what Sweep does, but I don't like the limitations and the guess work towards the result. Not sure how I would do it, but I can state some what ifs.

What If...
  • Command arguments could be changed on the fly?
  • Secondary Selections could be changed on the fly?
  • There were widgets to show what the Axis or Secondary Selections were active?
    • And what if they could be selected to be changed on the fly?
    • And maybe select which one from the Numeric Dialog Box?
  • Numeric command options like [1], [2], [3], etc were available in the Numeric Entry Boxes as toggles or radio buttons?
  • Repeat Commands were available from the Numeric Entry Boxes?

How would changes like these make Sweep better?
How would chnages like these make Bend or Shear easier to use?
How would changes like these make all drag op commands better?

Quote:(1) Shortcut a command so that Magnet (Alt+click) options becomes available at the moment the command is called by that hotkey (then user could read at info line: "Pick outer boundary point for magnet influence" and Alt+R for "Magnet options")
Could probably add that to the above too if it happens.

The Numeric Dialog box would become a way to stop and reconfigure a command. It might even need renaming if all these changes happened. But using [Tab] to interrupt a command is a good way to get mouse focus again, make some changes and continue.

Those are the kind of things I am interested in I guess; smoothing out the interface and making more possible with what we have.

Food for thought anyway.

RE: My requests for some future Wings release - oort - 11-29-2012

Quote:smoothing out the interface and making more possible with what we have.

That statement makes me think of what Fonte Boa showed in the old forum in the following thread....Bend workflows

Being able to pose a figure without the complications of adding bones/rigging would be great. At least for people who only want to do stills and do not need to animate.

Being able to rotate and tilt a figures head or twist the figures whole body...

Fonte Boa may be able to do this already??? The Bend command always confused me. Fonte Boa's explanations explain things great but it was not intuitive to me at least... Smile Sad

Bend discussed in depth in the old forum... Bend Explained

oort

RE: My requests for some future Wings release - Fonte Boa - 11-29-2012

Optigon, your ideas about to implement Numeric Input window funcionalities sound great, specially considering you're already developing interactives previews: if i understood right, this window can be the "on the fly" way you mentioned in your "what ifs". This would even be better specially if TAB doesnt really interrupt the command, but allows the user to "pause" the command so that user can input data (pick another axis, secondary selection, [1],[2],[3] options etc) and, after click OK, returns to command interative execution (with mouse input) and, without ends the command, hit TAB again/alters variables/continues the mouse interactive execution. This is really a nice workflow, imo. Today, you know, user is restrict to hit TAB, input data, click OK, that data is applied and the command is executed: it would be fine if, after OK, user could continue to use mouse to reach wanted results. In this case, Numeric Input could be a button to "apply" the input data. Anyway, OK wouldnt ever finish the command: a really "on the fly" window.

About my requests, i just would like to know your opinion about their viability in actual Wings code structure. Nice to know item (1) maybe can be built in Numeric Input window, but the direct access to Magnet via hotkey sounds me better: thefore i couldnt understand it this is possible or not.

Thanks.

oort,
Bend cannot be used to straighten geometry, but the changes would make Bend easier to use.

I didn't really explain what I want to do very well, because it's not fully thought out.

Part of the reason I would attempt these changes would be to bring more "try and see" to the wings workflow where it is lacking. Secondary selections are awesome, but for many they are intangible. I think more users would have success with secondary selections if there was a facility to swap them out for different parameters and have some visual feedback to show what is happening.

This is especially true for Bend or any of the commands that require more than 1 or 2 arguments.

These changes are for those who've tried to use tools like Edge > Intersect and end up having to restart the command over and over with different selections before getting it right. Of course, it may be necessary to add in a confirmation of some kind for commands that don't currently have a drag sequence, but this could be limited to only those tools that require secondary selections... but I haven't thought everything through.

(11-29-2012, 12:40 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: Optigon, your ideas about to implement Numeric Input window funcionalities sound great, specially considering you're already developing interactives previews
if TAB doesnt really interrupt the command, but allows the user to "pause" the command so that user can input data (pick another axis, secondary selection, [1],[2],[3] options etc)

That's pretty much the idea.
The Preview Dialog changes already make some of these changes, but I want to add a secondary selection facility and it would be nice to include the numeric button options too.

Can't really say much about the specifics since there is no code yet, and I can't even say if these changes are realistic to make.

Fonte Boa Wrote:About my requests, i just would like to know your opinion about their viability in actual Wings code structure. Nice to know item (1) maybe can be built in Numeric Input window, but the direct access to Magnet via hotkey sounds me better: thefore i couldnt understand it this is possible or not.

Having access to magnets via a hotkey or an option while already in the command means reinitiating the drag sequence with different elements of the mesh being moved than were initially calculated for. This may present problems. Especially since the mouse movement tabulator needs to be carried over too.

As far as a hotkey goes, I would have to see how it ties in with whatever changes evolve.

Your requests are probably possible, but aren't where my focus lies at the moment.

RE: My requests for some future Wings release - Fonte Boa - 11-29-2012

(11-29-2012, 03:35 PM)optigon Wrote: Having access to magnets via a hotkey or an option while already in the command means reinitiating the drag sequence with different elements of the mesh being moved than were initially calculated for. This may present problems. Especially since the mouse movement tabulator needs to be carried over too.
As far as a hotkey goes, I would have to see how it ties in with whatever changes evolve.

I didnt mean to access magnets while "on the fly" Numeric Input window is opened. I was referring to the ability of create hotkeys to commands that have magnet option.
For example, Face|Move|Y: today user is able to hotkey this, but once he hit the hotkey the command will immediately begin to be executed and there will not be a Magnet option (as you can see in Info Line).
So, if user wants to use that command (Face|Move|Y) WITH magnet option, he will have to use context menu, and NOT a hotkey.
The ideal is that user could be able to hotkey a command WITH magnet option, when it is available. In that example, if he hit the hotkey to that command, infoline would ask him to pick outer boundary point for magnet influence (with Alt+R for another magnet options): just after this the command will be performed.
Of course this would be optional (create a hotkey to directly execute a command, without magnet option [as today] OR create a hotkey to execute a command but giving the user the chance to define magnet influence before execute the command).

Sorry for not have explained better.

And thanks for explain those requests may be possible considering the existant code. As i said, these are requests for "some future wings release": your agenda is very fine and you should really keep the focus in it. Smile

RE: My requests for some future Wings release - puzzledpaul - 11-29-2012

Reading the above is guaranteed (imo) to put a smile on any winger's face ... my only comment is that it is unlikely to inspire me to re-visit some of the stuff I wrote (assuming various planets are aligned and it's rubbish light here) ... at this particular moment Smile

Excellent stuff / agenda.

pp

RE: My requests for some future Wings release - Fonte Boa - 12-22-2012

(7) Tweak | Select :
it does mean to use Tweak magnet for paint selections