Wings 3D Development Forum
Lightwave export bug - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Lightwave export bug (/showthread.php?tid=696)

Lightwave export bug - marcin wuu - 04-25-2014

Hello.
I know I should post this in the bugs section, but please, forgive me - I'd like to bring a bit of extra attention to my problem. You see I'm starting a big(-ish) project (WIP's soon to be posted in the gallery Wink ) that will require making many small models, and moving them between Wings and Lightwave alot.
There's a persistent bug in the lwo exporter (since the beginning), that flips exported objects on the x axis. This is not a terrible problem usually, but with the number of objects I'm going to model in this this case, I'm looking at a serious headache, that I'd really, really like to avoid.
So, please, pretty please, if someone from the dev team could take a look at the exporter code and fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.

RE: Lightwave export bug - oort - 04-25-2014

Not sure if any developers have Lightwave but I was able to confirm the bug (not that I doubted you... Smile ) by viewing an exported file with AssimpView. See the following thread for a link... AssimpView Thread

oort

RE: Lightwave export bug - dgud - 04-26-2014

Arrgh for bad coordinate systems.. :-)

And since you have not reported this previously before we made the new release,
you really don't deserve this.

And I do read the bug-reports thread more often than this..

There is a wpc_lwo.beam @ https://www.dropbox.com/sh/54h7afpm5hvx45m/hcay8uZhgc

Replace the one in wings_dir/plugins/import_export

And tell me if it works as expected and I will add the fix to wings.

RE: Lightwave export bug - marcin wuu - 04-26-2014

I'm pretty sure I did mention this bug (along with the other, that prevents Wings from importing Lightwave models with active catmull-clark subdivision) on the old yuku forums bugreport thread Smile
But, THANK YOU Biggrin if this works (I'm not home right now, can't check it) I'm in your eternal debt. That I can repay in beers or in a portrait session if you happen to be somewhere in my neighbourhood Biggrin

RE: Lightwave export bug - oort - 04-26-2014

Yes, Marcin posted this in 2009... Smile Lightwave issues

I tested the fix with a sphere with a bulge on the z axis facing the user and export and import seems to be working correctly. Looking at the exported model with AssimpView the model is viewed from the back of the model by default. I assume this is normal for Lightwave models???

oort

RE: Lightwave export bug - marcin wuu - 04-26-2014

Aaand it works. Biggrin thankyou again Biggrin

RE: Lightwave export bug - dgud - 04-26-2014

Well I didn't read 2009..had a vacation..or something..

Great that it works, will add to wings.

RE: Lightwave export bug - marcin wuu - 04-27-2014

(04-26-2014, 03:22 PM)oort Wrote: Yes, Marcin posted this in 2009... Smile Lightwave issues

I tested the fix with a sphere with a bulge on the z axis facing the user and export and import seems to be working correctly. Looking at the exported model with AssimpView the model is viewed from the back of the model by default. I assume this is normal for Lightwave models???

oort

The default setup for Lightwave orthogonal z-axis view is from the back. Perhaps the AssimpView tries to emulate that?

RE: Lightwave export bug - oort - 04-27-2014

Marcin,
That makes sense... Smile I see that Direct X files do the same thing in AssimpView.

I did some googling and see that Wings3D uses a Right Handed Coordinate System (The Models front (+Z) faces the user) but Lightwave and Direct X use a Left Handed Coordinate System (The Models front (+Z) faces away from the user).

Thanks,
oort

RE: Lightwave export bug - Ravyn - 05-02-2014

I don't use Lightwave but I've tried exporting the lwo files & importing them into programs that should open them. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't. And when it works the textures that I applied are never imported with the model.

Another program that comes in left facing is Bryce.