Wings 3D Development Forum
Absolute Rotate [plug-in] (Updated: 2014/Aug/06) - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Absolute Rotate [plug-in] (Updated: 2014/Aug/06) (/showthread.php?tid=729)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Move : Arrangements > Circular - micheus - 12-20-2014

This came from this thread Arrangement Circular

Maybe it's not of your interest but that can be done with Absolute->Rotate

RE: Move : Arrangements > Circular - ggaliens - 12-21-2014

All I see are ...

move
snap
scale

... what did I do wrong Micheus ?

RE: Move : Arrangements > Circular - micheus - 12-21-2014

(12-21-2014, 01:10 AM)ggaliens Wrote: All I see are ...
move
snap
scale

... what did I do wrong Micheus ?
it still is a the pull request.
If you want to play with it check the first post in that link for download the .tar file and install it as any other plugin.

Micheus ... all I can add at this time is ... your dialog looks a bit "HEAVY".
It looks like you have just about everything. Boxes inside boxes ... etc.
Actually. I don't think scale belongs in there. You are making it like one of my silly dialogs. Don't let me mess up your thinking !

I know you kind of want to make it 1 stop shopping ... so to avoid lots of menu items or sub
menus. But when we make these things ... sometimes we got to boil 'em down a little bit. And yes ...
you know that means getting a second opinion. I'm glad to hear you have it as a pull-request, regardless.

I am releasing my change just as my plugin. Take a look at it if you get a chance. It will be out in about 20 minutes.

Do you use "THE WINGS WAY" to get the direction vector ?

I will try yours soon Micheus.

Oh. Mine is very different as it is the relative rotate for the most part with an option if no secondary selection to use a std axis. Nothing more.

(12-21-2014, 02:22 AM)ggaliens Wrote: It looks like you have just about everything. Boxes inside boxes ... etc. Actually. I don't think scale belongs in there.
As it includes duplicate option, why not give us the possibility of scale from head to tail; why not have the option of twist them in the same way, why not have the option to do things that we would want apply to this kind of objects stream.

The group boxes are a way to organise group of parameters for some function.

If you think it's too much parameters/option just do not use the RMB option. The LMB and MMB do the simple task as you probably was wanting it did - no dialogs.

Quote:You are making it like one of my silly dialogs. Don't let me mess up your thinking.
I was not inspired in your stuff. Smile

Quote:Do you use "THE WINGS WAY" to get the direction vector ?
yes, of course.

And yes, it's is in a pull request as many of your recent ones. If approved ok, if not user will have the option to install it as a standalone plugin.
I wasn't expecting you liked it - just know about it "if it was of your interest".

I think it is OK Micheus. It won't hurt anyone. And if you want to mix in the scale. That's OK too.

I just think it should be as much in the style of it's "companion" functions as possible.

I still didn't get to try . But I will. I had to look at the code for wings_vec first at github ... because I'm paranoid

Related question : Why does absolute move have "duplicate" option on that screen ? What purpose
does it serve ? I expected to see the moved repeated relative to each other ... but on possible or bad name since is "absolute". I don't get it.

Not your screen Micheus ... but older one.

Micheus ... before you watch ... please please understand that I think You, me, Nova, Hank, ... and more ... we need to be teammates. I got frustrated when I want to use the Absolute Rotate ... here is how I felt ...
The good thing is ... maybe there is some time for minor changes. First Question : Why could I not apply the operation to a BODY. I think body is more important than edge,face, vertex ... ESPECIALLY and precisely because this is rotation or revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0BYsK5ajx4&feature=youtu.be

"Multi vertex selection must form a single closed loop".

What do closed loops have to do with absolute rotate ? I thought i had the wrong command.

(12-21-2014, 03:27 PM)ggaliens Wrote: Related question : Why does absolute move have "duplicate" option on that screen ?
What purpose does it serve ?
The original Absolute->Move didn't have RMB option. I added it to make it "compatible" with array option present in the Absolute->Snap: Absolute Move [new option - RMB] (documented by Arg Arg)
Its purpose can be similar (not the same) to the one for Snap: Absolute snap with duplicates should make an array. Take a look on this thread and maybe you can understand how it works.

Quote:I expected to see the moved repeated relative to each other ... but on possible or bad name since is "absolute". I don't get it.
The absolute meaning the coordinate you can enter (you don't pick any one like in Snap).
Yes, it is relative each other. The distance from the initial object to the new position you inform in the dialog will be used to place the new copies. (that is how I understand this)

Quote:I got frustrated when I want to use the Absolute Rotate ...
that happens. Smile

Quote:First Question : Why could I not apply the operation to a BODY. I think body is more important than edge,face, vertex ... ESPECIALLY and precisely because this is rotation or revolution.
I don't know about you are talking. The operation also is enabled in Body selection mode.

Quote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0BYsK5ajx4
I understand you want just rotate the simple primitive around another without take care about any shape alignment. Absolute Rotate do that too, but requiring more options because it was made to do more than that.
LMB will rotate the reference object based on any other reference;
MMB will do the same as LMB plus move the reference to target. Try to reproduce the situation below without it - it's laborious:
[Image: abs-rotate_zps55dfdc16.png]

Implement the controllers to Wings3d and maybe it'll become easier to understand this operation, since the parameters are used to find orientation axis of each object that will match each other.

Quote:"Multi vertex selection must form a single closed loop".
What do closed loops have to do with absolute rotate ? I thought i had the wrong command.
Which command you got that? Not from Absolute->Rotate. Please organize your ideas - mixing them doesn't help answer you.
and please, try the tool or read the referenced thread before write. We are more productive coding than arguing. Wink

RE: Absolute Rotate [plug-in] W.I.P. (Updated: 2014/Aug/06) - ggaliens - 12-21-2014

Micheus ... people WILL use this without reading a thread, or its pictures or any videos. So I will continue to try to come at it unbiased by any long usability threads. Not wanting to argue ... just suggest an alternate reality where many users won't see any thread, or want to so.

Micheus ... you don't have to BELIEVE my report ... but I don't have time to video it ... fact remains ... this does come from absolute rotate. (I'm on your side and on your team). I will make video later if you need. Got to get some hiking done.

Code:
$ cd src
$ grep "Multi-vertex" *.erl
wings_vec.erl:      [{none,?__(15,"Multi-vertex selection must form a single closed edge loop.")}]

RE: Absolute Rotate [plug-in] (Updated: 2014/Aug/06) - digitaldavinci - 03-15-2019

When an object is selected the menu option of the 0,0,0 rotation point should be there. This would simplify 'rotate all selected' on a global axis instead of trying to use an item from an object to define a point in space. What the programmers were trying to do makes sense but the community just wants a 'rotate all selected around 0,0,0'. From here an option for x y z selection or default axis. But this is still a zero vector since all models start from there. Plain and simple. I am on wings 3d 2.0.1.2016-07-19---10.17.mlab to preserve the plugin for boolean operations.