Wings 3D Development Forum
Short edges - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gripes & Grumbles (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Short edges (/showthread.php?tid=756)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Short edges - ggaliens - 06-19-2014

Yep ... I retired my 1and1 web server account since dropbox is becoming my new favorite
for simple distributions (I got sad at 1and1 for tech support stuff ... LOL).

Let me dredge up a link. Be right back. OK ... no ... you will be better to just look for the stack of manifoldlabs and look for a new one generated right now (6/19/2014). It will have the hopefully relevant change to wings_face:is_thin and we can try to determine is there are any side effect or if this is even an effective solution at all.

Don't use this distribution for anuthing other than testing out this idea that we might be able to generate a fix. IE ... don't consider it any stable release (at your own risk). This is manifoldlab.

RE: Short edges - Stem - 06-19-2014

Hi ggaliens,

Many thanks,

Just curious. Going from your release number, it looks like you are using wings 1.5.2 for base. Are you not using 1.5.3 as base?

RE: Short edges - ggaliens - 06-19-2014

I'm probably NOT using 1.5.3 as a base. But if you are paranoid about it ... I could.

I bet wings_face:is_thin( ) was defined the same way in both 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 if that is any consolation.

RE: Short edges - micheus - 06-19-2014

(06-19-2014, 05:06 AM)ggaliens Wrote: Micheus ... ACROSS does not mean across the long way ... or across the short way. It just means ACROSS. That's all. My video is in fact plane cutting across the thin faces.
yeah, you were right. That was a second situation that I didn't pay attention before.

I also could repeat it and I noticed another thing here: if I look very close those edges were the cut should have connected the new vertices it's almost impossible to select some edge depending of the camera orientation - it's necessary go away a little to be able to do that again.

Stem, I don't fell like I could do the right change to the try_connect_1 code I had mentioned in the post #6 because it is part of the wings' core and I don't want bring back any old problem as dgud has mentioned. But, I can investigate the Plane Cut code and see what I can do about it.

By now, if you lay in this situation I would suggest you to work with selection lists and move the unconnected vertices a little (use an edge as axis); connect them and move them back. It's a horrible workaround but it will work.

Plane cut is just using ... - ggaliens - 06-19-2014

Plane cut is just using ...

wings_vertex:connect which is probably limited and affected by try_connect and ultimately wings_face:is_thin( ) .

But I'm guessing from just a glance at the codes.

RE: Short edges - Stem - 06-19-2014

(06-19-2014, 05:22 PM)ggaliens Wrote: I'm probably NOT using 1.5.3 as a base. But if you are paranoid about it ... I could.

Certainly not paranoid, just curious as to you possibly not using the latest stable release.

(06-19-2014, 06:09 PM)micheus Wrote: By now, if you lay in this situation I would suggest you to work with selection lists and move the unconnected vertices a little (use an edge as axis); connect them and move them back. It's a horrible workaround but it will work.

That would be a nightmare lol (certainly with all the insets I had made)

I was only caught out due to forgetting some objects I wanted to connect, so needed to add further multiple edge_loops. Normally I leave all insets until the end.

I have a test build (1.5.3.ggaliens.unofficial) with just this one change - ggaliens - 06-21-2014

I have a test build (1.5.3) with just this one change.

If you are interested ... let me know.