Wings 3D Development Forum
Local/World coordinates - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Local/World coordinates (/showthread.php?tid=763)

Local/World coordinates - thiago28x - 06-19-2014

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forum, I live in Brazil, and have been using Wings3D for some years now, which I love Smile

Something always bothered me, for example,
in Maya you can move in coordinate systems relative to the following:

-world
-local
-object
-normal

Wings have something similar to this that I'm missing? Or could it be implemented? With a nice little gizmo thingie like Cinema4D..

Attached image describes typical case, when I have a rotated object and need to continue working as if it was still aligned with XYZ axis.

RE: Local/World coordinates - micheus - 06-19-2014

thiago28x, bem vindo ao forum.

We don't have gizmo although some people has asked for it many times.
We have some options for Rotate command and you always have the option to define (pick) an axis and point around which the element will be rotated.
In the Tools->Set Defaul Axis you can define an axis to be used with the Defaul axis options available in some wings operations like Move, Scale, Rotate Axis and Radial.

Pay attention to the Information line when you move the mouse over a menu option - most these operation are available for the MMB or/and RMB actions.

When selecting many objects the use of Vertex mode has a different behaviour for operations like Scale and Rotate:

This picture came from WINGS 3D Help Dictionary by tkbd - it's like a huge reference card. Look for RMB Menu in Geometry window were you will find the shortcut for its popup menu options.

It's necessary to experiment if you're not used to play with it. Smile

RE: Local/World coordinates - thiago28x - 06-22-2014

Obrigado Micheus Smile thanks

I was hoping GGaliens could do a gizmo plugin, since I have been following his youtube channel. :p

thanks anyway

RE: Local/World coordinates - micheus - 06-22-2014

Just to know that it is an old questions:
I don't understand.. (2004)
Gizmo? (2006)
Why not a manipulator for Wings (2011)

In the last one there is a ggaliens' comment (#3) about that - I'm just not sure he would give you the same answer nowadays.

RE: Local/World coordinates - ggaliens - 06-23-2014

I'm still not very interested in GIZMO manipulators and still believe that after a fashion ... it is proper to think of the Wings3D object as the minipulator. External cues are not needed. And Wings3D is not the kitchen sink (at least the core).

RE: Local/World coordinates - Simba - 04-20-2016

ggaliens, Wings will be more cooler with a physical manipulator(GIZMO). Kindly add it.

I would like to introduce it to my local industry and make it our modeling standard tool since other big products are way expensive and no one is actually willing to invest in them.Cool

RE: Local/World coordinates - ggaliens - 04-22-2016

I still (April 2016) believe that if you learn the basics of all the kinds of relative geometry transformations available in Wings3D ... a GIZMO ... is not at all needed.

Even if I wanted to add ... its not as easy as "KINDLY ADD IT". A lot of work would be needed ... and it should be done to the core wings (if at all ... and I'm not in charge of what kinds of things can go into core wings3d). For such a thing ... you would need SIGN-OFF from the most senior members of the Winsg3d development team ... they would need to think it best thing since sliced bread.

Just make careful hotkeys defined for 5,6, ... 10 commands you need to be very fast ... and memorize them.

RE: Local/World coordinates - micheus - 04-22-2016

Simba, do what ggaliens told you about the hotkeys. Did you use the Tweak mode enabled? If so, there are a couple of them already set for you.

About the reasons because Wings3d doesn't have gzmos, maybe this post at the old forum can help to understand:
bjorng Wrote:
puzzledpaul Wrote:Bjorn (initial author of wings) has stated on several occasions that he has no intention of adding widgets to wings - however, as it's an open source app, there's no telling whether someone with the necessary skillset (and interest / motivation) will come along and have a go.
The reason that I have no intention on spending any time on implementing widgets is that I have a long list of features that I find much more important:
  • Letting each object have a transformation matrix, so that you can move, rotate, scale an object without changing its vertices and allow instances (same geometry, but a different transformation matrix for each instance).
  • Have an hierarchy of objects (child-parent relationships) and having the Outliner show those relationships. (That will solve the problem of losing names when you do Combine followed by Separate.)
  • Bones/skeletons and IK.
  • Displacements/morphing targets.
  • Animation.
And so on. All of those features (and many others) add truly new functionality to Wings. A Gizmo would only give you a different way to do what you already can do in Wings, and unless the Gizmo implementation was really good (=a lot of time and effort spent), it would be an inferior way.