Wings 3D Development Forum
Windows8 - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Windows8 (/showthread.php?tid=79)

Windows8 - Garaiburu - 12-02-2012

Hi

I just tried to install wings on windows 8 and, to my dismay, found that I couldn't! Are there any plans to make it compatible with windows 8 in future?

Cheers

John

RE: Windows8 - optigon - 12-02-2012

I've hears one report of wings working on windows 8, and now one report that it doesn't. Not much to go on yet I guess Smile

Theoretically, Wings should work on Windows 8 if it's compiled on it, but none of the devs are on W8 yet.

Are you on 64bit or 32bit?

RE: Windows8 - ggaliens - 12-02-2012

Garaiburu ... please give us a few more details of how the process fails. Is it with the installer at nearly time ZERO ? Is it near end of install process ? Any extra information will be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

RE: Windows8 - micheus - 12-02-2012

I have it installed and working (the latest snapshot). But, yes. It doesn't worked at the first time I started it. It was necessary to install a vcredist pack. I can check the exact one I installed at home (I'm not there now), but try this one: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

RE: Windows8 - Garaiburu - 12-02-2012

(12-02-2012, 06:09 PM)micheus Wrote: I have it installed and working (the latest snapshot). But, yes. It doesn't worked at the first time I started it. It was necessary to install a vcredist pack. I can check the exact one I installed at home (I'm not there now), but try this one: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

I'm not at the computer right now but that sounds exactly right I.e. the installer complains about not finding vcredist and a bunch of other stuff. When I get back in the saddle I'll list them and post them here.
Cheers
John

Hi

So here are the various things it the installer complains about during the install (it only continues to install because I tell it to ignore the problems that it throws up)

I'll get the re distributable now and give it a whirl

cheers

John

RE: Windows8 - micheus - 12-02-2012

Garaiburu, you need to make the install using an administrator account.

I think the attachment didn't work last time, so I've tried to attach it again
In the meantime I have downloaded the latest vcredist_x64 (since my machine is 64bit) and installed it. Should I install the 32 bit version? After having done so the problems remain the same i.e. the install starts and then complains that it can't find various files including the redistributable.
Any ideas?

cheers

John

(12-02-2012, 11:07 PM)micheus Wrote: Garaiburu, you need to make the install using an administrator account.

Micheus

that did the trick! Thanks

cheers

John

RE: Windows8 - Geta-Ve - 12-03-2012

Just to chime in here, even though the issue is solved. Wings 1.4.1 is running fine on my Win8 machine. (other than my mouse skip issue >_> )

RE: Windows8 - optigon - 12-04-2012

vcredist... I remember this being the solution several version ago too.

Good to see this one was solved Smile