Wings 3D Development Forum
Save file size too big ? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Save file size too big ? (/showthread.php?tid=827)

Save file size too big ? - pistitom - 08-10-2014

Hi everyone, recently wings3d started crashing when autosave was on ( I've read the discusiion here), but it started crashing also when I saved manually. And the erl.exe crashes when I want to load a project -size 6.55 MB. The files disappear from the directory , only the second -backup i guess??? don't know what that is file remains in the folder. but it also causes often crashes when loading.

Dump written 2014-8-10_10-43
Version: 1.5.3
Window: geom
Reason: function_clause

Short stack trace:
[]

Long stack trace:
[{gb_trees,get_1,[-1,nil],[{file,"gb_trees.erl"},{line,239}]},
{wings_we,'-do_renumber/3-lc$^0/1-0-',2,[{file,"wings_we.erl"},{line,677}]},
{wings_we,do_renumber,3,[{file,"wings_we.erl"},{line,677}]},
{wings_we,do_renumber,2,[{file,"wings_we.erl"},{line,642}]},
{wings_we,renumber,2,[{file,"wings_we.erl"},{line,257}]},
{wings_ff_wings,renumber,5,[{file,"wings_ff_wings.erl"},{line,679}]},
{wings_ff_wings,export,2,[{file,"wings_ff_wings.erl"},{line,616}]},
{wings_file,save_now,2,[{file,"wings_file.erl"},{line,420}]}]

It just started recently, 2 days ago, that's why I thought it had to do sg. with the file size...Before that no problem whatsoever even with autosave. Anyone know what might be causing this ?

Thank You for Your help

RE: Save file size too big ? - micheus - 08-10-2014

Hi pistitom, welcome to wings3d community. Smile

(08-10-2014, 09:00 AM)pistitom Wrote: The files disappear from the directory , only the second -backup i guess??? don't know what that is file remains in the folder. but it also causes often crashes when loading.
yeah, that file with .wings~ extension is your file before it be replaced by a save operation. I suggest you make a manual copy (backup) of the file before this automatic backup can be messed up by some test/operation.

A 6MB file seams to not be so huge. Are you using 32bit or 64bit version?

Thinking about a memory issue, I don't think you would be able to get a dump file (when I tried "explode" the available memory before I never got it, only a message in the Erlang console). You can follow the instructions in this post to make the Erlang console visible.

pistitom Wrote:Long stack trace:
[{gb_trees,get_1,[-1,nil],[{file,"gb_trees.erl"},{line,239}]},
{wings_we,'-do_renumber/3-lc$^0/1-0-',2,[{file,"wings_we.erl"},{line,677}]},
{wings_we,do_renumber,3,[{file,"wings_we.erl"},{line,677}]},
99% of the times we see this log starting with a reference to do_renumber is because there is inconsistencies in the mesh - usually caused for "improper" operations. In this case, you probably can fix it by using the command Cleanup in the body [b] mode - after select the whole object. Try this and save your project.

RE: Save file size too big ? - pistitom - 08-11-2014

Thank You for Your help, I actually managed to somehow partially solve the problem, I disabled the autosave, and replaced the wings_file.beam with the one provided here. It's working fine now, though it always gets non-responsive when I save, but luckily only for a few seconds. More often the erl.exe still crashes when I load this one specific project. It's way bigger than others, that's why I thought it had sg. to do with size. There are no inconsistencies with the mesh ( well, I assume :-) ) , because I haven't got any save-related crashes anymore, I guess if that were the issue, it should've kept on crashing with error log. I'm using the 64 bit version, windows 7.
Thank You again.
Ps. Am I right assuming that wings 3d is capable of everything ( strictly modelling , no textures etc.) other programs are? It's basically unknown compared to the "big guys" ...

RE: Save file size too big ? - micheus - 08-11-2014

(08-11-2014, 10:30 PM)pistitom Wrote: It's working fine now, though it always gets non-responsive when I save, but luckily only for a few seconds. More often the erl.exe still crashes when I load this one specific project.
yeah, erl.exe can hang for a little if it's handling a lot of data in that moment.

Quote:I'm using the 64 bit version, windows 7.
This version has less problem with the memory limit of 32bits one.
So, just to know, how many vertices have your project?
Are your objects textured too? If so, it's a good idea have the images made external since the internal option can use a lot of memory and make the project file huge.

/Micheus

RE: Save file size too big ? - pistitom - 08-12-2014

119.528 vertices at the moment, but it's not finished yet. No textures, don't even know how to do that, have yet to learn UV mapping...but isn't that the last step of all? After You finish the model, apply textures and that's it?

RE: Save file size too big ? - Kruzschev - 08-12-2014

(08-12-2014, 04:53 AM)pistitom Wrote: 119.528 vertices at the moment, but it's not finished yet. No textures, don't even know how to do that, have yet to learn UV mapping...but isn't that the last step of all? After You finish the model, apply textures and that's it?

To your question: Yes thats it
Modelling -> UV Mapping -> Texturing. Just three steps on Wings 3D

You might want to use blender for texturing instead as it is more flexible and there is less hassle like you could easily swap textures, having several UV mappings and textures

Wings 3D is capable of doing some few UV mapping and Texturing job as well having a few material options that can be used later for rendering with a external program

have some videos about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUkNOF8eORA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-S5QAac3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obB9T3jXlak

http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/66158747/file.html

a small note on how to bake properly showed on the example file:
you need to select the layer "UVMapBaked" and the camera icon should be on "UVMap" and then you can click on bake thats it
and if you want to have different textures on it all you have to do is select the material and the texture there should be a folder icon click on that and use a different image for your model.

of course thats one of many many other possible ways of texturing stuff in Blender

RE: Save file size too big ? - pistitom - 08-12-2014

Kruzschev, thanks a lot for this info, I will try Blender, though it seems a bit difficult for a beginner...:-)))
But I'll learn. Thanks

RE: Save file size too big ? - Kruzschev - 08-12-2014

(08-12-2014, 11:58 AM)pistitom Wrote: Kruzschev, thanks a lot for this info, I will try Blender, though it seems a bit difficult for a beginner...:-)))
But I'll learn. Thanks

You're welcome, yeah its somewhat more complexer but not that complicated as it used to be on older version.

especially the way it handles the modelling which in my opinion is stupid as in you can only edit 1 object at a time compared to Wings 3D or 3DS max where you can just select a few stuff like lines, faces, vertex etc and start editing. through to be fair Blender is a very broad tool that is trying to be "I can do everything content related" and it doesn't do that too bad either.

Which is also why Wings 3D is my primary modelling tool, as it does its job good and with no unnecessary hassle

RE: Save file size too big ? - micheus - 08-13-2014

(08-12-2014, 04:53 AM)pistitom Wrote: 119.528 vertices at the moment, but it's not finished yet.
yeah, that will hang wings3d a little if you don't have a fast PC. If you really need to work with a highest resolution mesh then Wings3d can annoy you.

We don't know what are you working on, but as you are a beginner I have to say that sometimes a common mistake - in these cases - is to use more Smooth commands then you really need. Usually we do that at the end of the work (when you will texture and render the objects). Just my thought.Smile

RE: Save file size too big ? - BrainLinux21 - 08-13-2014

Hi Guys,

I have a similar problem with saving my file and I just read some massage to get some idea how to fix it.