Wings 3D Development Forum
'Snap image' mode -temporary hide - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: 'Snap image' mode -temporary hide (/showthread.php?tid=844)

'Snap image' mode -temporary hide - Radi - 08-17-2014

Hi :-) Im new here and really I now addicted to wings3D :-) Im a mapper for old Unreal Tournament game and found this app almost cant be better for my tasks :-)

Now I have a question about 'snap image' mode, this is great for texturing work. However, when I exit snap mode to see clearly changes I made, and use snap image again, then previous scaling values are lost and this is very annoying.
It is a way to temporary hide snapped image? Tried with second viewport but snapped image is there too.. :-) hope someone helps me with that.
Cheers.

RE: 'Snap image' mode -temporary hide - oort - 08-17-2014

Radi,
Welcome to Wings3d and the forum. If I understand your question, I think you do not understand snap image.... You say you "use snap image again, then previous scaling values are lost". Snap image will not let you apply more than one texture to a surface. Snap image creates a uv mapping as a material which uses a texture or image (diffuse) to color the surface. You can add a Bump map (height map or normal map) or a Gloss map to the material created by snap image. You can do that by drag and dropping an image in the Outliner onto the material.

Snap image is good for simple textures (wood, marble, etc.). You would use snap image once for the top and bottom of a cube... another time for the front and back of a cube... and another time for the left and right sides of the cube. Only selecting the appropriate faces each time. If you snap image for all faces at once the texture will look stretched on some of the faces.

For more advanced stuff you will probably want to use the AutoUv tool in Wings3D. Even for a simple cube you would be better off using AutoUV.

It has been a while since I have had a chance to play with Wings3d, so I hope this makes sense... Smile Sad

oort

RE: 'Snap image' mode -temporary hide - Radi - 08-19-2014

Thanks for reply oort. AutoUV is good but can be better. For example I created a simple mesh and painted it using colors from palette. Then I applied autoUV>projecton normal>and now "create texture" (with draw faces) so this produce a ready to go texture.
However, near edges on mesh I see texture background and I must manually move almost each vertex on UV window little inside drawed faces, even on 2048x2048 texture this is visible. I hope wings developers can do something about that. :-)

2- snap image is great for quick UV mapping, but sometimes I really miss option to temporary hide snapped image, exiting from this mode and open it again makes more work only (again move, scale image etc). But probably I must live with it. . . Cheers .

RE: 'Snap image' mode -temporary hide - Nova - 08-19-2014

Depending on where you're using it, you're sometimes able to set the texture to clamp, rather than repeat, which would get rid of "seams" near the edges of the texture. I don't know if you can in Wings3D though.

RE: 'Snap image' mode -temporary hide - tkbd - 09-29-2016

I agree with Radi.
(The necessity that makes hide temporary to overlapped image).
Because it need checking for the Image which it is snapped correct position whether or not.

Also, when was the repeatation of the high contrast image of the color tone,By overlap, making it difficult to visually recognize the 3D object.
(For an extreme example, case of the image in white grid on the black background)

I would like to Snap position to fix untill satisfactory.
It is hard to go back and forth multiple mode.
3 clicks required to enter Snap mode.

So,In Snap mode, I think that need add "Show/Hide of overlapping" command.
For example an idea,
There are two ways to reinstate the hidden overlaped image .
  • A. Click "Toggle to show/hide of overlapping" for toggle
  • B. Automatically hidden state is released when you execute other SnapImage commands (for exampe Scale/Rotate/MoveSnapImage etc).
In this way, it might work smoothly User operation.Undecided

RE: 'Snap image' mode -temporary hide - micheus - 09-29-2016

I don't know how I missed this. Undecided
(08-19-2014, 01:03 AM)Radi Wrote: Then I applied autoUV>projecton normal>and now "create texture" (with draw faces) so this produce a ready to go texture.
However, near edges on mesh I see texture background
Radi, it's something hard to solve (apparently). It's always recommended include the Edge Filter. From my post about AutoUV Shaders:
Quote:It's recommended to use the Edge Filter on top of the shader layers in order to fix a seams issue.

(09-29-2016, 11:23 AM)tkbd Wrote: (The necessity that makes hide temporary to overlapped image).
Because it need checking for the Image which it is snapped correct position whether or not.
Maybe an option for set the transparency help too.

Quote:3 clicks required to enter Snap mode.
first for Tools->Snap Image; second to select the desired image; and third ?

RE: 'Snap image' mode -temporary hide - dgud - 09-29-2016

What could be done would be to make a new window with the commands and options, as tweak windows.
There you could temporary disable the overlay|image, change transparency and so on,
then we don't need to have any commands in menus at all.

Good or bad idea?

RE: 'Snap image' mode -temporary hide - tkbd - 09-30-2016

dgud Wrote:What could be done would be to make a new window with the commands and options, as tweak windows.
There you could temporary disable the overlay|image, change transparency and so on,
then we don't need to have any commands in menus at all.

Good or bad idea?
It is a good idea either!
The change-able transparent is friendly to the user's eye .
Also gathering SnapImage related commands, it has the advantage that User can quickly access to these commands.

Micheus Wrote:first for Tools->Snap Image; second to select the desired image; and third ?
First is click on "Tools" on menu bar category.(and show a menu list.)
Second is click on "SnapImage" Command in the list.
The Third is click to select the desired image.
For just time, I was confirmed it.
Certainly 3 clicks on MacOSX Smile