Wings 3D Development Forum
Measurements - Need some help - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Measurements - Need some help (/showthread.php?tid=86)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Measurements - Need some help - Geta-Ve - 12-04-2012

Hey gang. So, I was attempting to create a 3d 'N' today and I ran in to a bit of an issue. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get each line of the N to be the same width. See image below. I want A and C to match in distance. B is reference measurement, if needed.

Is there some kind of calculation that I need to do? A formula? This is not imperitive by any means, and I was only doing it for funzies, but any aid would be awesome. Smile

Cheers!

[Image: measurements.png]

RE: Measurements - Need some help - Fonte Boa - 12-04-2012

I would create one N "leg" with the wanted width (4 wu in your example).
Then i would duplicate it twice.
Finally, i would rotate the middle one and use on its longer edges
the command Intersect so that they will grow until reach the other two legs
(using Edges|rmb Intersect two times).

I've recorded a short video, not worrying about accurace, showing the method.
After rotate intermediate "leg", i used Edge|rmb Intersect twice,
and to extend the other "leg" edges to coincid with the intermediate ones
i used Edge|mmb Intersect (then, i pointed first the Plane and then the Point, before execute).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uic2Qh_xD7M&feature=youtu.be

RE: Measurements - Need some help - micheus - 12-04-2012

Maybe using trigonometry... (we learn these things at school for some reason) Wink
[Image: TrigonometryMnemonic_1000.gif]
You know O (0.4) and h (0.6)
sinØ = 0.4 / 0.6
sinØ = 0,66666666666666666666666666666667
The inverse of sinØ will get you the degree you are looking for: 41.810314895778598065857916730578
but, 41.810315 should be ok. Smile

[Image: 44056176.png]
Two bar (clones); rotate around a picked axis by 41,810315 degrees; vertices adjustments (also, using intersect); dissolve some faces and weld everything.

Come on, Micheus and Optigon: free up the new Wings release!! I can see you're already using the new previews... I would like to test it too: you know i can make very wild tests here...

RE: Measurements - Need some help - Geta-Ve - 12-04-2012

@Fonte

Dude, I had no clue that is what intersect did -_- LOL. You rocked my world with that video.

@micheus

Unfortunately I wasn't in school long enough to learn trig. Long story... Tongue I will have to decipher your post. Thanks man. Smile

RE: Measurements - Need some help - oort - 12-04-2012

Fonte Boa,
I think they are in the debugging stage right now... only basing this on posts in the programming section. It may still be too buggy for Beta release. I can't wait to see it either... Smile

oort

Oh, I also forgot to mention that this needs to be cubic. Or rather, the N has to fit perfectly in to the side of a cube.

I have no clue if this affects either Fonte or Micheus' post.

[Image: measurements_02.png]

I cant remember where but isnt there a kind of general command or constraint by which user can set an angle target (couldnt find this here...)?

edit: i found it: "Rotate to Target" (now let me try it to this specific situation)

RE: Measurements - Need some help - micheus - 12-04-2012

(12-04-2012, 02:19 PM)Geta-Ve Wrote: Oh, I also forgot to mention that this needs to be cubic. Or rather, the N has to fit perfectly in to the side of a cube.

I have no clue if this affects either Fonte or Micheus' post.
For my suggestion, you will need forget about that B value - I believe it's mathematically impossible by using these precise numbers.

@Fonte

Let me know how it turns out Smile

@micheus

Yeah, the B value was just my own observations. I wasn't really sure what kind of math I should have been invoking so I was just taking all of the values and trying to make sense of them all. Suffice to say, I did not get very far. I thought I was, but it turned out to be a dead end.

I now have to wrap my head around trig. Was perusing the wikipedia article about it and I came across this line;

Sine function (sin), defined as the ratio of the side opposite the angle to the hypotenuse.

I swear to god, I have absolutely no clue what that sentence has told me. I must have read it 15 times now. Is it English?! lol

Thank you sir for your help. Smile

Not that I think I was unclear, or that you guys didn't get it, but here is a simpler image of what I am looking for.

Sorry to bug you guys. Tongue I will keep chipping away on the trig stuff. What I don't understand currently, in relation to this newest image is that, all the measurements I have are widths. The width of each column (2.0), and the width and height of the total "piece" (8.0). If I want a column, with a width of 2.0 to line up with the yellow circled corners (roughly the red lines), how do I find out the measurements or angle for that?

There is a good chance, micheus, that what you told me still applies and I am just too dense to get it yet. Tongue

Cheers.

[Image: measurements_03.png]