Wings 3D Development Forum
Creating a hole in a cylinder off center - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Creating a hole in a cylinder off center (/showthread.php?tid=920)

Pages: 1 2

Creating a hole in a cylinder off center - pashman - 10-27-2014

Folks, I'm a total noob, but I can't figure this out. I have a simple disk that I need a hole in the center (which I can do no problem) and another hole that is off-center. I can't figure out how to do that second hole. I understand that I need to make two faces and bridge them, but I can't figure out how to manipulate the mesh to put the faces where I want. You ought to be able to just put another cylinder where you want the hole and subtract it out, but I can't seem to make that work. A little help is appreciated.

RE: Creating a hole in a cylinder off center - micheus - 10-27-2014

You probably is looking for boolean operation. You can find a plugin for this in ggaliens' homepage.

RE: Creating a hole in a cylinder off center - pashman - 10-28-2014

(10-27-2014, 11:34 PM)micheus Wrote: You probably is looking for boolean operation. You can find a plugin for this in ggaliens' homepage.
I'm sure you are right. I will look for that.

RE: Creating a hole in a cylinder off center - Radi - 10-28-2014

Or:
1- create a cylinder
2 - select top or down cylinder face and use <Put On> command, then click on surface which you want a hole and right mouse click to continue
3- select all faces of cylinder except that one that is putted before and use <collapse>
4- last step. Select that cylinder face and surface below, and use bridge command.

Sorry, Im doing this in memory now, but should work . :-)
Write if you need something :-) always glad to help

Gosh that sounds easy, but doesn't work. I can put a cylinder through another object and grab opposites circular faces and bridge, but it doesn't subtract the intervening bits. Here is the file, with the small cylinder laying on the disk. I want to punch a hole through that disk in the size of the other cylinder. Oddly this forum won't let you upload drawing files created in Wings3d?? Change .doc to .wings.

RE: Creating a hole in a cylinder off center - Radi - 10-28-2014

oh I see, your model already has hole in center, which means my method is a little longer to use, also I descripted it badly Smile sorry, have you tried manifoldLAb version of Wings with boolean operators?? (which means you can easily can substract a cylinder hole somewhere) Smile

If you still need info how to do this, then I can prepare some screenies along with step by step description Wink just give your thoughts

Let me get the right version installed and then see if I can figure it out.
Tim

RE: Creating a hole in a cylinder off center - micheus - 10-28-2014

Radi, just to inform - ggaliens is sharing his boolean tool as a separated plugin: www.wings3d.net

Folks, couldn't quite figure out how to get the plug-in installed, but installed the mlabs version of Wings3D that had the Boolean operators included. After a little bit of fiddling success is mine! See attached (rename .doc to .wings).

RE: Creating a hole in a cylinder off center - micheus - 10-28-2014

To install a wings3d plugin you just need use the File->Install plugin and then select the file from where you have download it.