Wings 3D Development Forum
text around cylinder surface - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: text around cylinder surface (/showthread.php?tid=939)

Pages: 1 2

RE: text around cylinder surface - micheus - 12-13-2014

Hi Radi. Yeah the texture and light look better. Keep going. Smile
But, in the previous image (#9) it seems you were using hard edges in the text boundaries and for this last image it seems you have smoothed the object during export to Kkt. We can see many small faces details (as result of boolean operation). You cold make it better by bevelling the text edges - very thin border. Also, Kkt can help a little to remove that faceted appearance by selecting, citing the object and using the Smooth option (check the context menu whee you house the material).

RE: text around cylinder surface - ggaliens - 12-13-2014

Why not BOOLEAN at a slightly higher polygon count ? That combine with some tricky hard-edge commands could get you back to a crisp render. If you want to share model ... I'd be curious to see your approach. Personally ... I would not leave the crisp vs not-crisp issues completely to renderer.

RE: text around cylinder surface - Radi - 12-15-2014

oh Hi guys Smile

This is my first real attempt to make a bool text so result is not so great I think Smile

@micheus: that ring is made like seen in #9 - hard edges everywhere, I used smoothing in Kerkythea later (Loop Division or something like that)
Also good idea with adding another edges Smile Even someone posted a youtube movie not long ago about this smoothing technique.

@ggaliens: I abandon that model for now, its ugly and wrong made. Maybe I send you a next one if you might be interested

That font I used generates many unnecessary triangles, little example:
[Image: screen00950236.jpg]
...and little zoom:
[Image: screen00960237.jpg]

also that ring render have that 'squared lighting' on these surfaces (screen), I should toy more with Kerky settings or just make these surfaces smoother?
[Image: screen00980239.jpg]

RE: text around cylinder surface - micheus - 12-16-2014

(12-15-2014, 10:17 PM)Radi Wrote: @micheus: that ring is made like seen in #9 - hard edges everywhere, I used smoothing in Kerkythea later (Loop Division or something like that)
That's would be the problem. The subdivision tool in Kkt doesn't works well.
Tip: if your object is not smooth enough to just apply Smooth in Kkt, then is good idea you subdivid it before export or during it (there is a option in the exporter).

RE: text around cylinder surface - olve11 - 12-16-2014

also that ring render have that 'squared lighting' on these surfaces (screen), I should toy more with Kerky settings or just make these surfaces smoother?

So Radi
Micheus have right. Of course before you use booleans on ring and text - use turbo smooth on your ring.
Then use booleans, define text with hard edges and then extract model to Kerkythea.

RE: text around cylinder surface - Radi - 01-13-2015

Oh. I forgot to put latest result Smile

[Image: LunaRing.jpg]

RE: text around cylinder surface - ggaliens - 01-13-2015

Radi ... It still looks like you missed some of the pensive step and steps where "elbow grease" is applied.

Sometimes you can "Feather" your polygon density outwards from areas that obviously require higher frequency/density to areas that may need less.

What is the name of the Font ? Do you want me to have a go at is and report back on any alternative ways of doing that Boolean and preserving the boolean result ?

$#^& unoffical release has "adaptive isotropic" remesh ... that might have some experimental and possibly helpful uses here.

RE: text around cylinder surface - ggaliens - 01-13-2015

RE: text around cylinder surface - Radi - 01-13-2015

Hehe of course I enjoyed video, always something new to learn . ;p I appreciate that Smile thanks
hmmm my last result above do not have that much polys as you used. Also I wanted exactly that look (not ideal but like made by amateur hand (amateur jeweler hand ;p)).

Now I used more polys for both ring and text and result are very clean - like in yours video Smile no screens (for now). I have more projects and more advanced than this stuff Smile, so expect more questions, mostly about usage of some functions in Mlab edition.

Cheers.

RE: text around cylinder surface - usexxtiny88 - 01-24-2015

(01-13-2015, 08:38 PM)Radi Wrote: Hehe of course I enjoyed video, always something new to learn . ;p I appreciate that Smile thanks
hmmm my last result above do not have that much polys as you used. Also I wanted exactly that look (not ideal but like made by amateur hand (amateur jeweler hand ;p)).

Now I used more polys for both ring and text and result are very clean - like in yours video Smile no screens (for now). I have more projects and more advanced than this stuff Smile, so expect more questions, mostly about usage of some functions in Mlab edition.

Cheers.

you right bro Biggrin