Wings 3D Development Forum
Any way to murder temp selections? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gripes & Grumbles (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Any way to murder temp selections? (/showthread.php?tid=96)

Any way to murder temp selections? - PeterC (PC) - 12-08-2012

Yes murder, I'm kinda frustrated o'va here! Biggrin Used to be an option no? Hmm.. Don't see a way to disable it now tho..
It's all well and good when you're hovering around a single model. But when making a whole scene it tends to just become really annoying Tongue
I'm working "inside" of a room, so my mouse is always over something.. Whenever I select some polys and hit Aim, it doesn't center on my selection.. it centers on my selection + whatever my cursor is over. Not to mention Right Click really = 'Temp Selection + Right Click' so it's actually impossible to add any new objects unless I zoom completely out of the scene and find an empty spot to R'Click on (otherwise you only have the option to modify the Vert, Edge, Face, or Body/object the mouse is over.. not create new stuff) etc. Ideas?

RE: Any way to murder temp selections? - optigon - 12-08-2012

Sorry I messed up your workflow with the changes I made.

I have some suggestions though:
  1. Change 'A' to use Aim intsead of Highlight Aim. Higlight Aim has its advantages though, especially if you already have a large selection and want to aim at a piece of geometry other than the center of the entire selection.
  2. Turn on Conditional Deselection in the Preferences. This way when you press spacebar you will stay in the current selection mode. Pressing the spacebar twice puts you into multi-mode if Conditional Deselection is on.
  3. The blank areas of the Menu Toolbar act as Deselect, and by clicking this part of the Menu Toolbar you can bring up the Create Menu.

RE: Any way to murder temp selections? - micheus - 12-08-2012

Quote:I'm working "inside" of a room, so my mouse is always over something...
Not to mention Right Click really = 'Temp Selection + Right Click' so it's actually impossible to add any new objects unless I zoom completely out of the scene and find an empty spot to R'Click on

Maybe it's not much to add, but if you Lock the walls object you might workaround this situation (no temp selection for this object and the context menu could be used as it was "hidden").

RE: Any way to murder temp selections? - PeterC (PC) - 12-08-2012

Thx Mich, I've resorted to R-Clicking in the geoGraph to 'Lock all unselected' etc.. still tho, wanted to have stuff unlocked at times to use the "put on" command to place objects on desks.. pictsures on walls etc. All good though now, think Opti solved my issues :}

Optigon -
1. Ahh easy-peasy, switching to the other Aim Worked like a charm. And I can still Aim on highlighted faces wt nothing selected and it works as well. Best of both worlds, thanks!

2. Definitely have that on already, hate my selection mode being changed for me.. I'd even block the 2nd space = Conditional Selection if I could Tongue *Purist Zealot laugh* haha.. I didn't mention that though, was this for #3 to work? seems to work regardless. Good tip for old-school Wingers either way tho :}

3. Took me a while to find it, but Right Click > Menu, then LEFT click on the RMB's little menu bar. Got it! Actually, that got me thinking.. and I can't believe I didn't think of/try this, but simply pressing Space while any R-Click menu is up Deselects All and changes it to the object creation menu. Problems solved. Well.... that was easy.. probably should'a tried harder to work this stuff out myself before posting.. sorry.. ยด:]
Thanks a ton man

RE: Any way to murder temp selections? - optigon - 12-08-2012

Yes, you can press spacebar witht he menu open. In fact, other commands work while the menu is open too.

Hopefully, these changes won't stear you away from Wings. I always have the intention of improving workflows and user experience, but I know I can't please everyone.

Some things don't turn out the way they were intended and I'm not closed to input on how wings should be working.

RE: Any way to murder temp selections? - PeterC (PC) - 12-08-2012

No worries, no risk of that. Many thanks for your good work

RE: Any way to murder temp selections? - PeterC (PC) - 12-21-2012

Speaking of Conditional Deselection... (hey, you brought it up Tongue )
Not a high priority, I wasn't even gonna say anything, but since it looks like I might actually use Bend from now on.. :} Any thoughts on getting secondary selection stuff to respect Conditional Deselection too?
Clamped Bend and its 5 reference/control points is particularly bad, with Wings switching to multi-select mode after each 'n every selection is confirmed. You already know how much I love my selection mode being changed for me Biggrin
"Ok, time to select the next vert.. why did I just select an edge/face? O_o
I said VVVVVVVert Mode!!!" *brutalizes the V key*
>:F
JK.. sort'a.. Cool