Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Randomly placed objects
01-16-2017, 03:01 AM
Randomly placed objects
Hi ggaliens,

I was thinking about some low poly grass texture tutorial and to achieve my goal I need randomly place some objects, see the screens:

Before:

I select the object and vertices:

and the result:

I doesn't matter how the new objects are facings (the direction) as long as they are duplicated on the selected vertices.
I was pretty sure there was already similar option in Mlab but can't find it - the only similarity I found is: object/lots more/more:arrangements but they don't have option to select second object (or any other vertices for reference)
Do you know anything about it?

By the way: due to bad performance with my Intel HD GPU I can't follow any 2.0.X MLab (had some memory overload issue all the time) for my test I used 1.5.3 2015.04.02. It would be good if you could keep also 'older' versions of Mlab if needed. Currently under Manifoldlab.com I can find 2.0.x...

BR, Hank
01-16-2017, 06:38 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2017 06:38 AM by micheus.)
RE: Randomly placed objects
(01-16-2017 03:01 AM)Hank Wrote:  I doesn't matter how the new objects are facings (the direction) as long as they are duplicated on the selected vertices.
Hank, in the mean time maybe you could use a object with one extra row/col to avoid those objects with a normal in different direction than UP. Also, you could use [Vertex] Deform->Crumple->X/Z to scramble the target vertices a little. That can be done in 1.5.3:

My Wings3D Collection at G+
01-18-2017, 03:28 AM
(01-16-2017 06:38 AM)micheus Wrote:  
(01-16-2017 03:01 AM)Hank Wrote:  I doesn't matter how the new objects are facings (the direction) as long as they are duplicated on the selected vertices.
Hank, in the mean time maybe you could use a object with one extra row/col to avoid those objects with a normal in different direction than UP. Also, you could use [Vertex] Deform->Crumple->X/Z to scramble the target vertices a little. That can be done in 1.5.3:

Hello,

I would like to spread many objects around some bigger space to get a 'grass look-like' result. My objects are:

and the result would be:

Starting with simple object(s) might be a solution, but still I think there was some option in Mlab to get my request.

BR, Hank
01-22-2017, 01:58 AM
I'm not sure there will ever been another 1.5.x MLAB build.
I could maybe look around on some CDROMS. But really I don't have time to be backwards compatible.

Sorry.
01-22-2017, 06:13 AM
Hi ggaliens,

I didn't mean to develop any 1.5.3 version, just reference point or any other place where we could find archived version of Mlab(s) -some FTP?
On your web site there's only last version...
Anyhow, you did pretty good job with add-ons for W3D and appreciate this - tubes from loop path is my favourite one!
Hope you come back to do more stuff.
Thanks.

BR, Hank