Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you are using the "vast array of fun tools" ...

please do consider filing any usability issues that might limit my audience. I know it can be very rough. If we can sand off some of the roughness ... that help put come items in a place where then can be promoted.
Wegg. We can discuss in P.M. messaged and not pollute this thread too much. If you want.
Booleans is not much of a plugin ... if it only works Win32 or Mac ... is it ? Oh well.
That's probably the case ... that the native command line tool won't run on your odd Operating system.

I am available for hire (beer and peanuts) to make all the extras work everywhere ... when they really don't.

The approach would go something like this ... 1) You establish your level of commitment to debian thing. 2) You give me the EXTACT URL you used to download your debian and I get the same one you did ... down to 32 vs 64 bits. I think you chose 32. 3) I make an install on my machine and build what you need.

All this is very very heavy handed and maybe silly since you should have picked UBUNTU 14.x as your operating system ;-)

The upside is that the new MLABs are getting ridiculously powerful.
I only have the 64bit OS. I have 32 gigs of ram in my system and 32bit operating systems can't see that much. No thanks.

If you can make it work on Ubuntu, it will work on Debian. They draw from the exact same repositories.

I actually tried Ubuntu and the Unity interface kept breaking on me when I'd make the least change. I didn't like the way the mouse paused for no reason when moving it between my two monitors and. . . that broke Unity. Whuh!?! I was just using the official settings tool and THAT broke my install? Sheesh. . .

The distro I settled on is called Crunchbang which, just like Ubuntu is derived from Debian. If you can get it to work on Debian it will work on Ubuntu and Crunchbang. The url for Debian testing is here: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/

However. . . I think I'm good. Wine is working for me and if there is ever must have thing I see you do from your Youtube videos. . . I'll hit you up for a 32bit version of Manifold lab.

I'd be happy to test anything you make but the immediate need has been resolved. Thank You.
Cool. I want happy customers.
I'm very happy with Manifold lab. I wish. . . the rest of wings was as innovative and willing to try as many crazy wild things as you do. Keep it up mate.
Was just looking at "SHEAF" and thinking maybe I still need to work on that one a bit.

Maybe just a little similar to SHEAF ... I wanted to make a "TORUS HANDLE" between
two faces on an object ... brand of BRIDGE. Maybe both faces are equal in edge count ... and the faces just morph a little along the toruse path between the two faces.

What do you think WEGG ? 1 Click operation for two faces on same object ... called TORUS BRIDGE. Later ... maybe handle path could be different from circular. But got to walk first.
I think you are really on to something. So much of my time in Wings and any 3D modeling package for that matter is spent playing with topology to make it void of n-gons and where possible triangles. The current "Bridge" just . . . well let me try and show you.

Right now it does this.

Two polygons, different polygon count right?

[Image: High_To_Low_A.png]

So right now when I bridge it just spans the two with polygons and where the edge counts don't match up it just creates them on the side that has fewer edges.

[Image: High_To_Low_B.png]

Which creates n-gons. We hate n-gons.

[Image: High_To_Low_C.png]

So then I have to spend ages dicking around "stepping down" from the high edge count to the low edge count and end up with something like this.

[Image: High_To_Low_D.png]

New segments had to be added and the topology altered so that when subdivided, things look good. Especially when animating.

If you could re-tool "Bridge" and create a "Bridge+" that automated this stepping down process. . . you would probably have solved a modeling problem that plagues all 3D modeling programs.

I googled and found a table that shows different strategies based on how many you want to step from and too.. . . automating this would be amazing.

[Image: 5mzm35.png]
Just read on slashdot that CrunchBang distro to be discontinued ?
Yup. No more Crunchbang development. :-( However that really doesn't mean much. Crunchbang was just Debian with a lemon twist. I just have to twist my own lemon from now on.
Pages: 1 2