Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Cutting out a hole
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I've been trying to create a Star Trek Voyager badge just for fun and practising.
I need help on how to cut out two holes but im not sure how to do that.

Here is a picture of what im trying to achieve:

[Image: dfyPti.png]

I'm new to 3D modelling so I hope I have given you enough understandable information about my little problem.

Thank you!
Hi matt,

For your request there might be few solutions:
one of them is cutting the badge along X axis and later for this new cut use Bevel option. Make cuts on new bevel edges for appropriate hole size. In the end just select faces and use Bridge.
Hi matt, welcome to the forums Smile

I'll show you how to do that (with screenshots), should be only a few steps to accomplish that. interested? I dont mind doing this now, maybe you found a sollution, thats why I asking first Smile
Thanks for the welcoming guys! Smile

I'll see if I can solve it with your suggestion, Hank.

That's very kind Radi. Im gonna give it a try first, so I might not have to bother you with this.
matt, it would be easier if you had first made the central piece (the white one) and then extruded the left/right side faces to create the badge - using all those faces/edges you would have. You just would need the cut along Y axis and bridge the faces to get the hole.

You should have noticed the rim near from where you extruded the badge are straight line (edge), but it should be curved as the rest of the rim.
(01-19-2015, 06:35 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]matt, it would be easier if you had first made the central piece (the white one) and then extruded the left/right side faces to create the badge - using all those faces/edges you would have. You just would need the cut along Y axis and bridge the faces to get the hole.

You should have noticed the rim near from where you extruded the badge are straight line (edge), but it should be curved as the rest of the rim.

Exactly, micheus. I just noticed when I tried to create lines, they get all weird. It might be difficult to even make a nice hole, and making the two holes symmetric will even be harder.

Maybe I should just use start over using this one as a template and as you said, extruding the left and right "wing".

A quick question when were at it. If the pieces of the badge are merged, will I be able to texture the two wings and the central piece with induvidual colors, or should the left and right wing be separated from the central piece? I have no idea how texturing works so I hope you don't mind me asking because I don't want to do it all over again Biggrin
(01-20-2015, 08:28 AM)matt Wrote: [ -> ]If the pieces of the badge are merged, will I be able to texture the two wings and the central piece with induvidual colors, or should the left and right wing be separated from the central piece?
It is up to you decide about that. Smile
You can use both approaches.
This is the 1st of two videos showing how to UVMap separated objects and then merging them at the end.
(01-20-2015, 11:23 AM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2015, 08:28 AM)matt Wrote: [ -> ]If the pieces of the badge are merged, will I be able to texture the two wings and the central piece with induvidual colors, or should the left and right wing be separated from the central piece?
It is up to you decide about that. Smile
You can use both approaches.
This is the 1st of two videos showing how to UVMap separated objects and then merging them at the end.

Thank you micheus!