Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Two Questions: Irregular shiny surface & Deleting inner Boundaries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

A couple of days ago I started working with wings3d. During that time 2 problems occurred which i could not figure out how to solve. I was hoping maybe some of you can help me with that.

1. Irregular shiny surface on simple model

I am modeling a simple cylinder (r=1; d=0.2; 64 Sections) like in the Picture (1). As you can see, nothing spectacular. Then I triangulate (pic 2) and export as an .obj (this is the format i need). When I import the model in my game (TTS) i get this irregular reflection or irregular shiny surface (pic 3) along the triangulation boundaries. My question is: How can I prevent this? I just want a simple, plain surface. I already tried smoothing (pic 4), quadrangulation, adding a texture and editing the material properties (shininess1.0). Nothing worked so far.

2. Deleting inner Boundaries of 2 combined objects

I combined a cylinder and a cube (both the same height) to form a single geometry like in the above picture. So far so good. Now I want to delete the inner boundaries of the two objects, so that only the new outline of the merged geometry remains. I'm fairly sure there has to be an easy way to do this, but I wasn't able to find this.

Any help you could give me on these questions of mine would be very much appreciated.
Hello Star,

About first problem, idk what to say, so I'll refer to the second one. Use the booleans to combine the two objects or make a cylinder and shape it in order to get what you need. I've made a quick one, can be download it here.
[Image: something_zpshnb35lwp.png]
Hope it helps! Good luck!
starworf,
I can see how image 2 will give you resulting image 3. I would think that image 4 would give you somethings else...

Try adding more geometry to the top of the cylinder using Facemode > Inset, or other method.

This is a guess. In order to know for sure we would have to have access to your game (TTS).

In order to have access to booleans, you will have to use the Manifoldlab version of Wings3D or install the Manifoldlab booleans plug-in into Wings3D Official version. I have not tried installing the booleans plug-in lately so I am not sure if it is still working with Wings3D 1.5.3.

oort
hmmm yeah - boolean tools for combining is a way to go. About first problem - this is something wrong with that game engine.. probably.. I'm not sure
For the shading issue; Either do an inset on the top face to control how the shading bends around the corner, or go Body>Auto Smooth if you want hard edges along the edge.
Hi starworf, welcome to our community.

The pic 2 didn't seem to be triangulated - not inside Wings3D as you are shown - I see only parallels faces on top (only quads).
Maybe, are you doing these operations during the Export process (using the export dialog)?

It seems you used the smooth in the pic 4 but had removed some edges in the top area, since we see four faces in the cylinder side for each face on its top. That can give you a problem too.

You would try the oort's suggestion or maybe set that top boundary edges as Hard and see if your engine will understand it better. Maybe that can fix the result you got in the pic 1.

About the combination, people already told you to use booleans - it's a plugin for Wings3D by ggaliens and certainly it will help you.
But, for simple geometry like that, sometimes it's possible to use Wings3d achieve that result too - just with a little efforts.(just planing) Smile