Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Curved uv mapping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! first sorry my little english. Im trying to build a tank. i got a problem using unfold in uv mapping:
This looks like curved.

if i use proyect normal this looks fine (because is rect), but only from up
Welcome to our community DIEGONV40

Yeah, this kind of shape give us always a headache. Unfortunately the UV code can't "see" the shape as our eyes and what seems to be a simple strip becomes a curve. Sad

So, a tip here is to mark many edges for cut - mainly in the curved area and use Unfolding option :
[Image: th_tank-uv-map1_zps6dfb80fb.png]
then, you can use "Stitch" to glue the pieces again. After you "rebuild" the stip you can select the vertices and use "Flatten" to ensure the vertices will be aligned:
[Image: th_tank-uv-map2_zpsde73544c.png]in this sample I also scaled them preserving the proportion.

In AutoUV window you can - at any moment - select one island (in body mode) and use Remap UV to remap it using one of Unfold, Projection Normal or Spherical. Just be aware that you will lose any arrangement or operation you had previously have done in that island. (but, undo still works Smile)

I hope that can help you.
(03-16-2015, 07:57 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to our community DIEGONV40

Yeah, this kind of shape give us always a headache. Unfortunately the UV code can't "see" the shape as our eyes and what seems to be a simple strip becomes a curve. Sad

So, a tip here is to mark many edges for cut - mainly in the curved area and use Unfolding option :
[Image: th_tank-uv-map1_zps6dfb80fb.png]
then, you can use "Stitch" to glue the pieces again. After you "rebuild" the stip you can select the vertices and use "Flatten" to ensure the vertices will be aligned:
[Image: th_tank-uv-map2_zpsde73544c.png]in this sample I also scaled them preserving the proportion.

In AutoUV window you can - at any moment - select one island (in body mode) and use Remap UV to remap it using one of Unfold, Projection Normal or Spherical. Just be aware that you will lose any arrangement or operation you had previously have done in that island. (but, undo still works Smile)

I hope that can help you.
Thanks, i will try it
Hello

Select polygons around track > UV mapping

In UV window. Mark edge for cut.

RMB > Continue

RMB > Cylindrical Map.

Scale as required.

NOTE: If the track had evenly spaced polygons, on the UV map, you could select the outside edges and use circularize.
Stem, that is valid for a regular mesh when the "tiles" (faces) have the same size/length (as in your example), so you can use circularize to fix any distortion as result of Cylindrical map or any other method.

By considering the mesh shown by DIEGONV40 (he's using the minimum amount of polygons to build the track), it's not a good idea to use circularize - he will lose the proportions among the track faces ("tiles").
Without the circularize - to equalize - the lengths, the map will be stretched in the curved areas.