Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: General thoughts about W3D interface
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear W3D users,

I'd like to share with my thoughts about general W3D usage and what came to my mind during my last project
Don't take it too personally 'cause we can use the program for different purpose (mechanical/biological or strictly
artistic) and therefore not all need to be set up to one person or assignment.

Advantages:
- program is very very stable and low cpu/gpu/memory consuming so you can run it without any problem even in old configuration
- quite easy to handle. W3D is typical subdivision modeller and therefore its strength is in it - less complicated = easier to operate.

Disadvantages:
- no path option. Clutch, break or spark plug paths are hard to made and time consuming.
From this place I want to say Big Thank you Mlab! for your path extension (tubes from loop paths) and many other plug-ins because I see you effort and in the final it help all of us a lot. I did mention about it before and I'm 100% sure it should be already implemented in the W3D... paths is something what I really miss

- virtual mirror according to some object or point. Virutal mirror is working only with face selection and from time to time it's good to make a clone according to some reference.
- layers option in the Right Mouse Button menu. Some time ago I suggested to create it according to existing logic from geometry graph and folder options. Micheus added this suggestion to "do or not do" list for next W3D release.
- spring object from the RMB menu should have more inputs: thickness, radial, height... instead of change it after addition.
- when working with colour it would be nice to have rounded selection for last used/selected colour in the pallet - it's small thing but can help a lot.

Feel free to add any comments or suggestion.
Last Used Color is a nice idea.
Virtual mirror as described is something I really miss when working on Wings.