Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Crash upon changing opacity after tweaking vertices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

Straight to the problem. The software crashes when I changed material opacity after I started tweaking vertices. Error message pops up 'erl.exe stopped responding'.

Steps that lead to the problem:
-added an image plane for model reference (in this case, a flower image, jpeg, 113kb size, dimension 347x346)
-added a cube as model clay
-changed the cube into a flat square face
-cut all the edges by 10
-again, cut all the edges, but now by 2
-started tweaking a few vertices
-change opacity to around 0.3-0.5
-crash

Operating system:
-Windows 8.1 (64bit)
RAM:
-8GB (dual channel)
Processor:
-Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @2.50GHz
Graphics:
-2048MB NVIDIA GeForce 610M
-Intel HD Graphics 4000

Another useful info, I was actually watching a tutorial in youtube while trying to emulate what the youtuber (her name is VscorpianC) did in the video. This is the link to that video:
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrjzfgP6qUE&index=5&list=PLP3-5QSIC-VcsndQX3HR1hGDFwDbpcOXh
This is the title of that video:
-Wings3D Tutorial - Car Modeling 3D Reference Set Up by VscorpianC

Just started using Wings 3D a couple hours ago and I find this software very useful for 3d modelling beginners such as myself. Managed to model a Super Mario game coin in the first two hours of using the software. A flower was suppose to be my second mini project, but then I encounter this problem. I hope there is a way to settle this because I truly cant wait to continue modelling using this software.
Hi kingooze, welcome to our community. Smile

Thanks for report that. I could reproduce it by considering that when you told: "changed the cube into a flat square face" you just scaled or move two faces to overlapped each other (in this case, you turned four faces zero size and that can be the problem - I need to check).

When you did
Quote:-cut all the edges by 10
-again, cut all the edges, but now by 2
maybe you already know you could have just used the menu option Cut and chosen the option "Enter number..." entering the value 20. Smile

Ok, you can work on your flower and using the approach you want by using the Extract option - that will create a flat object from the selected faces.
So, you still can add the cube; select one of its face and in the context menu choose Extrac->Normal and [RMB] to accept (without move the mouse). Now you can hide or delete the cube and work in this shape as you tried to do before.
After you get the flower shape you can use Extrude->Normal in order to give it a thickness.
Oh I forgot to explain in detail how I "changed the cube into a flat square face":
-select the cube object
-flatten
that's how I get the flat square face.

And thanks for the advice. Will keep that in mind and practice.