Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: hard edges connected = soft edge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, I'm not sure if this is a bug (or just an irritation Biggrin ). But here goes, anyway, with an example:

Convert all edges of Cube to Hard.
Connect any two edges. The new edge is Soft.
Convert it to Hard, and extrude the small face created.
Result - a face with soft edges.

Bit of a problem for (non-Gehry-type) Architectural modelling. Esp if I extrude a lot of faces simultaneously - and some edges of object are Soft.

Is there any setting to make default edges Hard?

Edit: Wings 1.5.pre1.38.g62be8 (and earlier, too, I think); win XP.
<< Is there any setting to make default edges Hard? >>

Couldnt find a way, maker: the only thing that cames to my mind is to hotkey Edge|Hardness|Hard and, after select all edges (Ctrl+A), turn all them hard in a single step.
Thanks for the reply, Fonte Boa.

That's what I do now. But it's a problem when you want some edges to remain soft. You've to either deselect those, or carefully select only the extruded edges.

Thanks again.
Maker, try to use the command
Body|AutoSmooth.

It "automatically" turns some Edges hard, keeping the other ones soft,
all this based in a Crease Angle you can set
(to this, right click on this command or click on that rectangle side the command name).

I found two very old tutorials i've recorded about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNvli3x4JwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbzL95LNrWk
Thanks a lot. I will. Biggrin

Tried it; it's nice. I only wish it were a setting in Preferences - so you don't have to repeat after every operation.

BTW, the idea of editing the "preferences.txt" file to change default colour (in your other thread) is very nice too. I've been wanting a slightly warmer default colour. Biggrin

Edit: And the video (I watched one) is as helpful and informative as ever. Smile But got to go now.
Micheus: wouldnt it there be a line to be typed in preferences.txt to make the Edge|Hardness default = Soft?

I am not an expert in that syntax, but it seems to be possible...
I tried to add a line like:
{edge_hardness, hard}
but i had no success....

Is it impossible?