Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Wings sluggy when files have a good amount of objects.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, new on the forums. I've been using Wings for 2 years now and never had this problem before. For a couple of days now when I open a file with a bigger amount of objects (20+) the program gets really sluggy. As in seconds to do certain things, like pressing L and the edgeloop actually getting selected.

Does anyone have a clue what this could be?
I have not experienced that before - except for a very large amount of polys.

Which version of W3D are you using and the OS?
You said "For a couple of days". Before that - when it was fine - had the project the same amount of objects?
I use 1.5.3 and 1.1.1 (for exporting fbx files) in 64 bit WIN7 SP1. The both behave the same.

I am fairly sure I had the same file open before without any issues.
The file does not even have that much shit in it. It's 4000ish polys (mostly quads) in 31 objects.
Selecting an edge ring for example takes about 2 seconds from pressing R to edges actually being highlit. :/
I don't feel sluggish until upwards of 300 or 400 objects. Really depends a bit on polycount too. But objects do have a lot of overhead.
This problem is still persisting even after rolling back graphics drivers and some other things. I have no clue what is causing it, but I makes Wings virtually unusable for me on anything with a certain polycount or a bunch of objects. Would really love to know what this could be even caused by.

On a project with like 5000 or so quads selecting a vert literally takes almost a minute. :/
ptoing ... it probably has a lot to do with the overhead per object.

Just use COMBINE to make one object out of many. If ice cream with sprinkles ... join spinkles into a single object. It will go way faster.

OK ... if happening with only 31 objects ... yeah ... that's a big problem.
I havn't had this problem. What are your specs?

EDIT: Although I have found some programs can make the computer and in turn Wings perform sluggish even though other programs perform fine. For example, having Unity open and in Play mode in the editor will make Wings a slideshow, but this is easy to avoid though.
ggaliens: makes no difference in my case.

Nova:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - Yorkfield 45nm Technology
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 666MHz
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5E3 Deluxe (LGA775)
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Not running anything crazy while running Wings, even with nothing else really open and stuff like Comodo turned off, same result. Also I am pretty sure it did not always perform this way. :/ I am pretty puzzled.
Have you tried some of the older versions of Wings? Like, which version introduced the sluggishness?
It seems to be in all versions. I mainly use 1.5.3, but also 1.1.1 to export fbx files. Both behave exactly the same. I guess I could try installing an even older one sometime. But I don't think that is the issue.

-------------

Just installed 0.99.0 which just gives me an error on start and then just sits there. Need to use Taskmanager to kill it.