Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Anyone doing Wings dev under VMWare ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone doing Wings dev under VMWare ?

That's how I have been doing plugin dev and tinkerings for last 5 6 years. But all of the sudden with more to WxWidgets ... I feel like I'm in a VICE and stuck.

Basic problem is with OpenGL, mouse drags, wxWdigets, etc. SLOW ... sluggish interactions.

ESDL/SDL/Older OpenGL req was fine under VMWare ....

WxWidgets/newer OpenGL requires are not fund under my VMWare.

It might be that VMWare player is way too old. I'm using VMWare player 6.0 ... pretty sure they are trying to depricate that nad get folks onto paying solutions like a VMWare workstation offering.

I get into VMWare guest image with is a Windows 7 dev environment set up for Wings ... and I can barely rotate a wing shape. Very sluggish. All is fine if I build and release to the bare-metal host machine and try there.

I could probably be convinced to try something newer like VirtualBOX or some other virtualization offering. But I'd like to try finishing some baby steps first ... like baby stepping my dev environment to be more like Dans or Micheus' ... and do that for the compilers , OTP versions, etc. Just getting closer to having an official build environment.

Having to RELEASE to do Black-Box testing is just killing me man.
I could install all dev tools on my host machine ... but really didn't want to have to go there.

HELP ! Ideas needed.
Had a go at running wings 2.0.1 under VirtualBox virtualization (windows 7 guest set up).

Same issue persisted. Hard to pass OpenGL 2.1 or better function into the guest (at least with my graphics card). Yuk.
I would say you to focus in a dev environment for the OS your are using and left virtual environments just to build Wings3d distribution for other OS. Huh
Could you ... would you add the OpenGL version FOUND to the dialog that says what version is required please ? If you have a moment ?

It would help. So it would show what was found and compare to what is needed. Both shown to user.
ggaliens,
That information is available under Help > Software/OpenGL Info.

oort
Not if the wings3d software stops first Oort !
Hadn't thought of that... Smile Sad

Thanks,
oort
Dog gone it ... virtualization of OpenGL 2.x or better seems a real P.I.T.A. for VMWARE and Virtualbox.

I only have one bare metal machine ... and I don't like to do development and testing on it.

My world is broken, shattered.
(09-18-2015, 03:51 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]Could you ... would you add the OpenGL version FOUND to the dialog that says what version is required please ? If you have a moment ?
I can, but without guarantee it will be added in the official release. Smile

(09-18-2015, 06:28 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]I only have one bare metal machine
Me too, but I used a old HD to install linux and then I boot from it when I want work in linux environment.

If you don't want build your dev environment on it, I may suggest you to have a little of work by transferring it from the virtual one - thinking about use Windows for that. I did that when I put everything in my flashdrive, so I carry it everywhere. Smile

/Micheus