Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: UV Mapping With Wings - Pagoda Productions Tutorial
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am going through the tutorial here:
http://www.pagodaproductions.com/tiki/Wi...pping.html

I am using Wings3D v1.5.3.
I am able to follow the tutorial successfully until Step 25.
I do not understand:
To drag the AutoUV window hold the left mouse button on the green bar at the top of the AutoUV window and drag. Similar to when you are moving a model in regular modelling mode you can move the sphere model while still having the AutoUV map open. To pan the sphere go into move mode and press Q.

I am using the Wings3D camera settings, so maybe that is why "Q" seems to have no effect.

In Step 26, Pagoda's tutorial screen shot has light yellow and light gray squares as a background image in the AutoUV window.
My Wings3D AutoUV window has the "colored letters".

Not too bad. Continuing with the tutorial...

In Step 27, Pagoda's tutorial screen shot shows a different Draw Options dialog than what appears in Wings3D v1.5.3.
The Texture Size is not a drop-down.
There are Overdraw options visible.
There is no "Delete Unused Pass" button.

I try to match what the Pagoda tutorial settings are, and click the OK buttons.

In Step 28, I cannot get the same results as in the Pagoda tutorial.
Pagoda's screenshot shows the AutoUV window with the background of white, and the "islands" containing the material colors (yellow, magenta and cyan).
My Wings3D has a AutoUV window with a background of white, the "islands" are also white.
Pagoda's Geometry window shows the sphere colored magenta, cyan and yellow from the materials.
My Wings3D Geometry window shows the sphere as being gray, when the sphere did have color on it just a few steps before.

What are some things I can try to get a similar result in Step 28, so I can continue the tutorial?

-Steve
(11-12-2015, 05:01 AM)ssmeier Wrote: [ -> ]I am able to follow the tutorial successfully until Step 25.
I do not understand:
To drag the AutoUV window hold the left mouse button on the green bar at the top of the AutoUV window and drag. Similar to when you are moving a model in regular modelling mode you can move the sphere model while still haveing the AutoUV map open. To pan the sphere go into move mode and press Q.
He was talking about to move the AutoUV window, so you just need to click in the window title (the green bar) and while keeping the mouse button down drag it to move the window - he was making the object in the Geometry window visible since it was covered by the AutoUV window.
To pan the camera in the Geometry window you must use the camera controls as you are used to, and to pan the view in the AutoUV window you can use the arrows keys.

Quote:In Step 26, Pagoda's tutorial screen shot has light yellow and light gray squares as a background image in the AutoUV window.
My Wings3D AutoUV window has the "colored letters".
Yes, that is the way we see that today - I don't know if in the past Wings3D used it, since I started to use it in 2011 letters are in the background. It's only a reference for mapping, so don't worry about that.

Quote:In Step 27, Pagoda's tutorial screen shot shows a different Draw Options dialog than what appears in Wings3D v1.5.3.
The Texture Size is not a drop-down.
There are Overdraw options visible.
There is no "Delete Unused Pass" button.
yes, that is a really old version. The dialog changed and the options are all there and with new one.

Quote:In Step 28, I cannot get the same results as in the Pagoda tutorial.
Pagoda's screenshot shows the AutoUV window with the background of white, and the "islands" containing the material colors (yellow, magenta and cyan).
My Wings3D has a AutoUV window with a background of white, the "islands" are also white.
Pagoda's Geometry window shows the sphere colored magenta, cyan and yellow from the materials.
My Wings3D Geometry window shows the sphere as being gray, when the sphere did have color on it just a few steps before.
You need to add other option to your Render layers list: Draw Faces
Pagoda Productions Tutorial - Step 28

Thank you, micheus.
- -
By adding the "Draw Faces" in the "Draw Options" dialog, "Render" section, my result was similar to the Pagoda Productions result.

Step 27 by Pagoda
[Image: Step27-pagoda_zpsj6oh1ynh.jpg]
Step 27 by Steve (first try)
[Image: Step27-steve_zpsluvelw1v.jpg]
Step 28 by Pagoda (the UV "islands" have the same colors as the materials in the Outliner window)
[Image: Step28-pagoda_zpso9xhidz0.jpg]
Step 28 by Steve (first try - the UV "islands" have no color)
[Image: Step28-steve_zpsfq7pifmz.jpg]
Step 28 by Steve (tip from micheus - Render "Draw Faces")
[Image: Step28-steve_new_zpsd6q8pvp2.png]
- -
In the Size section, change the drop-down to 1024x1024 (3Mb).
In Render section,
0: Background drop-down (no change needed)
1: Draw Edges drop-down, LMB Options button. (LMB means "left mouse button").
The Draw Edges dialog opens.
[Image: Step27-steve_drawEdges_zpshclfotht.png]
Edge Width: field, type "2.0".
checkmark "Use vertex colors (on border edges)"
LBM the OK button. The dialog closes.

Here is the setting I did not know to do.
In the Render section, if there is a 2: use it. If only 0: and 1: exist, create a 2: (LMB "New Pass" button).
[Image: Step27-steve_newPass_zpsphwuoej4.png]
In the screen shot above, there is no 2: in the Render section, so LBM the New Pass button.
2: Draw Faces drop-down (was set to None).

LBM the OK button. The dialog closes.
- -
Step 27 by Steve (second try)
[Image: Step27-steve_DrawOptions_2-DrawFaces_zpskgz5lpyz.png]
-Steve
Pagoda Productions Tutorial - Step 28 (continued)
At the end of Step 28, my Wings3D v1.5.3 looks very similar to Pagoda's tutorial screen shot.
The following are my notes.

Step 28
Result after Render setting of 2: Draw Faces as recommended by micheus
[Image: Step28-steve_new_zpsd6q8pvp2.png]
Note: Outliner window contains the three colored materials (Bottom, Middle and Top), the default material, the sphere1_auv material, and the sphere1_auv texture (auvBG texture is gone).

Save the model as it is currently. (LMB menu File, LMB Save As. The Save dialog opens. In the File name: field, type "pagoda_28.wings". LMB the Save button. The dialog closes.

Note:
If you close Wings3D now, and re-open "pagoda_28.wings" later, here are things to notice.
In the Outliner window, the colored materials (Bottom, Middle and Top) are gone. The Outliner only contains default material, sphere1_auv material and asphere1_auv texture.
LMB menu Window, LBM UV Editor Window results in "Nothing selected" dialog with an OK button.

So my questions are:
Is there a way to save my Wings3D model so I can close Wings3D, and return to the tutorial again at a later time?
Is there a way to save Wings3D so the AutoUV window and its state is not lost?
Do I need to use a menu File entry other than "Save As", like the "Save Unused Materials" entry?

-Steve
(11-14-2015, 05:45 AM)ssmeier Wrote: [ -> ]If you close Wings3D now, and re-open "pagoda_28.wings" later, here are things to notice.
In the Outliner window, the colored materials (Bottom, Middle and Top) are gone.

Is there a way to save my Wings3D model so I can close Wings3D, and return to the tutorial again at a later time?

Do I need to use a menu File entry other than "Save As", like the "Save Unused Materials" entry?
Wings3D doesn't save unused materials by default. If you need to that, take a carefully look at the File menu - you have five different Save options. One of them is Save Unused Materials.
As you are in a "learning mode", other that would be of your interest is "Save Incrementally" which allow you to preserve a previous state of your project. It creates a sequential list of file, so you can go back to a previous state in case you take a wrong way at some point.

Quote:The Outliner only contains default material, sphere1_auv material and asphere1_auv texture.
LMB menu Window, LBM UV Editor Window results in "Nothing selected" dialog with an OK button.

Is there a way to save Wings3D so the AutoUV window and its state is not lost?
To get the AutoUV with the islands you need to select the object (in face or bode mode) in order the AutoUV know what to show.
In my case all the materials were used yet w3d dropped them on my re-entry into wd3.