Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Maybe a wrong evaluation of OpenGL version in a VM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2.0.2 won't start in my virtual machine. 2.0.1 does start. I know someone won't want to hear this ... but is there any chance that a move from display lists to VBO's or whatever replaces display lists ... is there a chance that process is buggy and that using a vm ... somehow exposes said bug ?
(01-04-2016, 06:44 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]but is there any chance that a move from display lists to VBO's or whatever replaces display lists ...
I don't think so.

(01-04-2016, 06:44 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]2.0.2 won't start in my virtual machine. 2.0.1 does start.
I know what is happening. Wings3D 2.0.2 requires OpenGL 2.1.
That is not a Wings3D problem it's about the VM drivers!

I'm assuming you are using Virtualbox as VM since you had mentioned that before. It's not easy to get OpenGL version too high, maybe because they still consider it experimental as you can read in its documentation:
Because 3D support is still experimental at this time, it is disabled by default and must be manually enabled in the VM settings (link).
You will need to install the 'VirtualBox Guest Additions' - and you do that in protected mode for Windows client. Maybe you already know about it.

Even if you get it enable, don't expect to get the same OpenGL version from the host. Once, I could get the "2.1 Chromium 1" for WinXP. I don't know how it could be for newest OS's.
>> I know what is happening. Wings3D 2.0.2 requires OpenGL 2.1.

Yes ... but so does wings 2.0.1 ... which works ! I have OpenGL 2.1 in my guest. I have done those steps. It appears as a new problem introduced by wings version 2.0.2
Can you check in the Help menu for the information about the OpenGL version it is reading from the system?
I can run v2.0.2 in a PC (not VM) with support only to OpenGL 2.1 - no problems.
2.0.1 can say ...
Code:
Vendor
Humper
Renderer
Chromium
Version
2.1 Chromium 1.9
Version tuple
{2,1,0} 2D-API: wxWidgets: 3.0.2.0

2.0.2 cannot even get that far ... unless I build it from source.
ggaliens, I'm promoting this to a possible bug, but I don't have a VM at this moment in order to be able to check what is happen.

So, I hope you could do that since you say that it can work for a while if you build it from source. We are counting on you. Smile
I will try to figure it out.
Moved my latest VirtualBox guest wings 2.0.1 dev machine to another 2010 vintage cheap machine

et1331G-03w (e machines)

It seems to run. 2.0.2 still crashes. Don't think this says too much about the real problem. But is still interesting. It has an onboard nvidia as did a lot of desktops around year 2010.