Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Resurrecting Wings...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Can you be specific in your request for further development? As a modeler, Wings3D hasn't had real competition until the last 5 years.
(08-18-2016, 12:02 AM)Extrudeface Wrote: [ -> ]The language of choice is a bit frowned upon around here (and IMO, righteously so, not that I see a sin to ask, lol !), because they coded wings in Erlang because they love the language, indeed. If you want to improve Wings, the best move, (again, IMHO) is to learn Erlang. And learning is good... Smile. I'm inclined to think learning C++ would be a tad harder, if you get into the deep stuff, than learning Erlang.
A good Wings clone in C/C++ would be a godsend. Language holy wars notwithstanding, there's no denying it would be faster and able to handle higher polygon counts.
It's not going to happen, but Blender is close enough.
(09-05-2016, 11:19 AM)nemyax Wrote: [ -> ]A good Wings clone in C/C++ would be a godsend.
:
It's not going to happen
You had linked on started two years ago. The guy is still working on it.
micheus
That project has morphed into a "Maya killer". I don't think anything will come of it after all. It'll be just another K-3D.
There are many free options for rendering out there, personally I always have seen wings3d as a modelling tool, not a complete 3d package , and as "box modelling" tool is the best .

You can use the supported renders, or use Bryce, truespace, or other free 3d application out there that has a good render.
Feather isn't going anywhere. Too much emphasis on programming, not enough emphasis on user friendly.
Is feather usable yet?
No, but Anim8or is more usable and more Wings-like than before. Still no UV editor though.
(01-26-2016, 08:57 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]Although my name is GNC the best place to get legal steroids from? listed for the moderation of any session in this forum, Dan gave me administrator rights to in order to be its maintainer - Forum Team. So, I do everything I can to keep it clean and give to new users a welcome. Smile
Decisions are not under my domain.

"Wings3D is dead" is a old subject. As ggaliens uses to say, it's like "beat a dead horse".

We have people interested in Wings3D - the number say that:
The most download version is still 1.5.4 - around 10000 download a month from Set/2015 - Jan/2016. SourceForge statistics
The Facebook communit (by Fonte Boa) got 475 followers since Oct/2012.
The YouTube channel (by Fonte Boa) has 930 subscribers

Despite all these numbers, the regular amount of user accessing the forum rarely is greater than a dozen.

We see just a few interesting works made in Wings3D. I mean that as other than abstract forms. This kind of work also shows that Wings3D is capable to produce some complex forms, but I think other forms would "impress" the users and stimulate they to work more with Wings3D.

I don't think the "Wings3D way" will change some day, so it's almost impossible to make those who like an interface full of buttons become to like Wings3D with its simple interface and hotkey/RMB driven. They just install Wings3D, look around and leave it.

It's difficult to find a decent tutorial for Wings3D. Even mine aren't good - I just try to do the minimal to keep Wings3D "visible". Who stops to watch them prefer to listen instead to read - what's fair. As a result for the around 1K views/month my youtube channel the average time watch time is 2min (the videos use to have 10min of duration).

We could try to define some kind of tournament? I already participate in the past in a Beginner Speed Modeling at 3dm3.com, but as I have seen in many other places after some time it become inactive. Maybe because the subject isn't interesting, or the time isn't enough or people just don't want to get into. Undecided
Let's see how many people will pinnate on that: Voting for a challenge creating

In the old forum there is a thread named Wings Wants / Feature Requests (FR) - Compilation.
Maybe we should do a recompilation of that with items compatibles and possibles to add to Wings3D. It could be a guideline for any programmer interested to contribute to Wings3D. Maybe ggaliens could implement some items since he code in erlang more time than me and maybe have more free time than me too. Smile

I believe that any new feature must be created as an independent plugin. This way users can install them and try. Also, I believe if dgud or björng think it must be added to Wings3D they will do that.

As a test to see what is POSSIBLE ... can we set up a new moderator for Gallery ? Someone brand new ad mod ? Or are we still operating under same old authorities ? I don't want to beat a dead horse ... but I'm curious about ownership of this forum ... if it is still Optigon's in terms of actual computing authority and website editing. Or is it all you now Micheus ?
(02-13-2017, 10:45 AM)Kennedy19 Wrote: [ -> ]As a test to see what is POSSIBLE ... can we set up a new moderator for Gallery ? Someone brand new ad mod ? Or are we still operating under same old authorities ? I don't want to beat a dead horse ... but I'm curious about ownership of this forum ... if it is still Optigon's in terms of actual computing authority and website editing. Or is it all you now Micheus ?
As a show what is "possible" I removed your homepage link since it's not related to any 3d ot personal content, but to a page to promote a kind of medicine to "solve" men's Underperforming. Your posts are now under moderation which means they will not be automatically approved.

What the problem with the Gallery?

No, I'm not the forum owner. You can check the Forum Team and you still will find Optgon and puzzledpaul there - they have been around, but usually I've been taking care of the forum until them decide to comeback. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7