Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: The Connect surface tool by Dimitri.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Some parts and tools needed ...

{We1,Id1} = wings_edge:fast_cut(Edge, Pos, We0),

and then ...

connect(Face, Vs, #we{} = We0) ->
case polygon_pairs(Face, Vs, We0) of
no -> min_distance_pairs(Face, Vs, We0);
#we{} = We -> We
end

and all that is left is to elicit a plane from a user and faces to be cut.

We can check that any item being cut yields a new point BETWEEN the two initial point.
Done. Boom. Seems to work. Bit more testing and then release in a day or so.
Can't wait to try it! If it works ok it will be a great add on for creating new topology (especially in boolean cases). : - )
Released ...

It is just the thing I asked for as it seems! Going to download the latest version and test it! : - )

Played with it a little bit. In simple, smoothly curved surfaces works as expected. In non so regular surfaces it shows a little bit unexpected behavior. Sometimes it generates some connections on other, non selected, areas of the objects too. But both problems are not so important. It is not necessary to use it in densely wavy surfaces. As to the second case, the not needed edges can be selected (by loop selection) very easily and deleted. The important thing is that it produces perfectly straight lines-edges between two selected vertices on simple, smoothly shaped surfaces. It is a nice connect tool that in most cases makes things quite easy.

If I detect other problems in its working I will mention them here.

Thanks... : - )
I know about the selection on FAR-SIDE. My long term intension is to not select that part. It should be an easy fix.

I have not even tried this on my bunny yet. I should.
Yeah ... I just tried this on my "lover birds" from other thread ... and the cut-line projected though the object to TWO other places. This I'm going to need to fix for sure. Sorry. But at least the basics are there for a TRY.
Fixed the projecting through the model. It will only act on the surface directly between the verts. Not on the backside. Fixed. I'm sure there will be some other bug. But we will take 'em one at a time.
Testing Unstick.
Why not add this as a flag/mode to the exiting connect tool?
Pages: 1 2 3 4