Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Weld Changes unrelated faces
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have only a little experence of Wings3d but have made two or 3 models.

I am making a model for the Orbiter Space Sim and it requires that there are only a few objects in the model. To this end I have started with a cube and by means of connecting faces and extruding them, I have built up a model of a gantry ( like scaffolding you see outside building being built)

I now wish to add another object and so made two matching faces on each model. Using "absolute move" lined them up and was able to weld the two objects to form one. So far so Good.

When I come to weld another copy to the new bigger model, it will only work if I play with the tolerences of the weld, (yet I know its lined up as good as the first!). It also removes faces from elsewhere in the model i.e. nowhere near the site of the weld

I have put before and after screenshot JPG's and before and after Wings files on the following web page If anyone has the time to help.

http://www.orbiter.comeze.com/Gantry.html

I know I am only a new kid on the block but if I can make this model work I can write up a tutorial as a form of payback

Thanks in advance
paddy
Use Body|Cleanup command on the objects before Weld them
(there are some coincident verts in both geometry)

( a ) Change to Body mode (B key)
( b ) Select "cube1" and "cube3_copy5"
( c ) Right click | Cleanup
( d ) Right click | Weld
One word

Fantastic

Sorted in a flash

Thanks so very much

As a follow up may I ask for a fuller explanation of your comment in brackets?
Does the vert mean vertical? if so then you have lost me.

I did create a small "face" in the top of the fender to line up with the bottom of the vertical "pole" for the express use of the weld function.

Again thanks so much for the fast response

Regards
paddy
orbiter,
Fonte Boa was referring to "Vertices" when he used the word "verts"

oort
Oh right
Still getting my head round the name conventions
So yes I tried to get the four vertices in the courners of my 2 faces to line up

Have since welded a 3rd object into the main one so I am getting there folks

Thanks