Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Linking...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Imagine that we have some 10 spheres dispersed randomly in the space which we want to link with each other with direct 'threads' (or 'rods'), creating something like the 3D molecule diagrams. What is the most time saving way to do it in Wings? I tried to find a way but in vain. It would be good to have an automatic way of achieving such a task... by just selecting all the spheres and clicking a 'link' command. A command which will create instantly straight cylindrical rods between the spheres, in whatever thickness the user prefers.

Having a way of doing such a thing would endow Wings with new abilities for 3D graphic explanatory presentations. Given that someone has a so easy way of creating such a linking he-she can create -with some tweaking of his own- arrows aimed precisely toward the desired directions too (as in the second image).

Mind map presentations, scientific diagrams etc in 3D is a whole chapter by itself, so why not utilizing Wings in such a direction also?

Mark is it possible to automatize such an operation? What do you think about it?

[Image: Netbeams_exp_send_zps6e6989b0.png]

[Image: Links_zpsjdzzxccc.jpg]
You should SKYPE me about this. It sounds trivial.
There is similar addon for Blender http://www.lucascheller.de/B_File_Host/S...cheller.py
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthre...ticle-Link
Maybe it could provide useful ideas.
Cyseal, I knew that there was such a plugin for Blender but I forgot the place I did see it... so, thanks a lot for the link. : - )

Mark, yes why not, we can speak in Skype too. Although the idea is very simple and it can be understood very easily.
"Although the idea is very simple and it can be understood very easily. "

OK ... how does user specify which spheres to "link" ? Is it all combinations ? If not ... is it one-by-one ? If not ... we need a way to specify. All this needs open discussion ... or else it is not easy.
Mark just now I answered to your question through Skype. You were not there. And now I have to go out. Read my messages and we speak later.
OK ... will work like this ... with a next release to let you dial in edge width as exact.

Wow, so fast! Excellent work Mark, thanks a lot! Now we have in Wings the ability of building whole net connection diagrams in almost no time. This is great, indeed! : - )
Be careful ... the networks get heavy FAST. I tried on DoDecahedron and was amazed at the example link density.
Is it ready for downloading?
Pages: 1 2