Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Spiral loop around the cuboid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This cube is scaled around y axis.
How to make a spiral loop around y axis?
So, helix around this cuboid.
EDIT:
I forgot to mention loop has to be on the cuboid.
cyseal, I don't know a easy way to do that. It uses to require some work to get it done.

[Image: cub-helix_zpsf436e70d.png]
the right one is an Extrusion and the left one is an Extraction, but the base approach is the same. Is it something like this you are looking for?
Yes! Could you explain roughly how you did it?
I don't have much time now to give you details, just latter. So here goes a start point and maybe you get the idea...

When I use "face" of the cube you must to understand I'm talking about the initial ones.

- copy the main cube and hid it;
- select the four edges along the Y axis;
- cut them into 20 segments (as more you use as more close are the helix loops);
- increase the selection [+] (all vertex selected);
- connect them;
you will notice that some diagonal edges create are not in the same direction. Take a look around in the cube and check which "face" they are right in their majority. You will preserve two faces that includes that one you found. Then, in the top and bottom face you make the proper connection in order to use loop cut to remove the bad "faces".
After that, in edge mode, you must use the Turn to fix the edges that aren't in the right direction and make your half piece viable.
Now you duplicate it and use Put On in the face created by the loop cut command and Weld them.
At this point you must be able to see the edges creating a helix pattern as well as the edges loop.
The next step is to remove the edges loops to get only the helix pattern. I used the selection group option for that in order to get the non needed edges selected and then delete them.

Try to see if you go to somewhere with these comments. If you can't, I will try to create an gif for that latter.

/Micheus
Ok, I'll try. Thank you.
cyseal, if you don't need the helix merged to the cube then forget everything I said before and try this approach:
otherwise, here is the step-by-step what I started explain in the previous post:
Thank you again!