Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Fixed - Wings (2.02/2.03/2.04) doesn't start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello!
I can't manage to start Wings since the version 2.0.2.

Once I click on the Wings icon there is a loading white box appears for a second and then disappears. And nothing happens. The program simply does not run. This is the case with all versions, except for 2.0.1 - the only version (development release) that works.
Can anybody suggest what could be the problem? And what to do? Smile

I have installed all required Microsoft redist components.
My OS: Windows 7, 32 bit.

P.S. Stable 1.5.4 version works fine. But I don't really like fonts there.
By the way: is it possible to change interface fonts in preferences for other which are not present there in the choice menu? Simply to copy some desirable fonts in the program folder?
(05-21-2016, 02:41 PM)Maxim Wrote: [ -> ]Once I click on the Wings icon there is a loading white box appears for a second and then disappears. And nothing happens. The program simply does not run.
After that, if you check the Task Manager, do you see an erl.exe process running?
Did you try to remove the Preferences.txt file? (you can just rename it).
Did you noticed if a dump file was created in your desktop?
1) I checked and there is no such process in the Task Manager
2) I tried, yes. By advice from other Wings user. Still nothing happens Sad
3) No dump file on my desktop.
Humm, not good. Hard to find the problem.

Are you sure the vcredist is the one shipped with Wings3d installer? You can force it be installed, in case the check mark is unchecked.

Is there any change that white box appear for a time enough to take a printscreen (the whole screen) and maybe we could see anything written on it?

Did you installed Wings3d in the default path (c:\program files)? If so, could use run Wings3d as administrator?
An Erlang crash also creates a dump file, but it is written under the same path of the executable and in this case only if Wings3d is ran as Administrator rights. It must create a file named erl_crash.dump (in a place like C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.0.4).
Thanks for responses!

Yes, I'm shure because I have installed them for 2.0.3 version. Now I tried to re-install it and the system reported that I have 2 options: "uninstal" and "repair". So yes, I have needed versions of vcredist.

[Image: 6076642Wings_bug2.png]

There is really nothing to look at, unfortunately. Here is the screen in the moment when Wings starts:
[Image: 4827093Wings_bug.png]

By advice of other Wings user I also made some tricks with CMD module trying to start werl.exe - still no success. It was when I tried previous version. It was installed in diff. directory but anyway... problem persits.
[Image: 7d52fa7611b06ce17e349f71f8d0215e.jpg]

Yes, Wings installed in default path C:\Program files and I'm using Administrator rights by default anyway.
I know what are you talking about when you mention crash.dump files. I had them in the past when i worked in 2.0.1. or 1.5.4. But no, no such files now on my desktop or in the program directory. I also want to say, that even in working 2.0.1 version I did not have options for bindigs comands to specific buttons. I have it only in 1.5.4 stable version.
Screenshot:
[Image: 1229802wings_bad_3.png]

I also cleand registry before new installation.

Looks like this problem is deep in OS somewhere and there is nothing more you can advise, right? And it's strange that it happens only after 2.0.1 version. Maybe there is some new feature or file that does'nt work on my system.
Do you know what is OpenGL version your system supports?
If you don't have a way to know you can download GPU Caps Viewer (zip version, so you don't need to install it)

After this, I have no more idea about what to check. Sad
Good utilite, thanks Smile Shows everything, including temperature, BIOS version and so on.
According to Caps Viwer
OpenGL 3.3 (GeForce 315/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW! with 274 ext.)
That was the possible last issue I could think about. The required OpenGL version is 2.1 since 2.0.2.

Let see if somebody else come with other ideas. Sorry Sad
Anyway, thanks for trying to help, micheus
I'm going to move on Windows 10 soon, where will no be such problem (hopefully) so 1.5.4 is actually enough for me as I newbie in 3D. I just thought it's good idea to work in the last version.
So what about fonts in 1.5.4? I wrote a question in P.S. I find them not visually convinient to read.
I talked to dgud and he told me that the problem is related to the 32bits build. Something he talked about before, but I didn't have idea this was the symptom.
It seems nobody else has been using 32bits version recently. Except you. Smile

About the fonts, I don't know. Did you try to install it into the fonts system folder? Maybe it could be available for selection after that. (?!)

Sorry for not have the right answer before.
Pages: 1 2