Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Smoothing object groups?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, I've recently downloaded wings 3D (no prior 3D modeling experience) and so far it's been working well for me. However, I've run into a problem.

I'm making a dinosaur-ish thing, so I decided to split it into various objects (arm, leg, tail, head, body etc.). So I made some rough blocky shapes of what I wanted and fit everything together. Then I combined the objects into a group. Next, I wanted to smooth everything to well, make the model less blocky.

This is where I'm stuck. Because I made each appendage a separate object, when I smooth them (even though I've combined them all into one group), they smooth themselves as separate objects, ignoring the other objects in the group. For example, the tail turns into a worm-shape instead of neatly joining into the end of the body, and the head is just a blob floating next to a neck.

How would I properly merge objects so that I could smooth them as a single piece? I've messed around with a bunch of options and tried googling, but haven't really come up with anything I could find useful.
Argoms,
Welcome to Wings3D and the forum.

You need to use either Weld or Bridge to make the parts a single mesh. As you noticed, combining parts into a group does not make a single mesh. You can use separate to break up the group.

To use bridge or weld select the facing faces of two objects.

oort
I just tried bridge and it worked perfectly, thanks!