Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Faces from different objects in the same UV window. Possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Is it possible to have various faces from different objects show up in the same AutoUV window without having to combine the objects?

Or, is it possible to apply the Scale|Normalize Sizes command to multiple UV windows so that the faces in the multiple windows are sized relative to each other?

Either work flow would work for me. As it is now, to normalize UV face sizes between different objects requires combining the objects. Then, separating them and losing all the previous object properties (name, etc.). If the objects are themselves collections of smaller combined objects, reconstituting them can be tedious. I'd like to maintain the object information but have the UV coordinates normalized.

Thanks

--jeff
(09-04-2016, 10:33 AM)kugelfang Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to have various faces from different objects show up in the same AutoUV window without having to combine the objects?

Or, is it possible to apply the Scale|Normalize Sizes command to multiple UV windows so that the faces in the multiple windows are sized relative to each other?
No. Your unique option is to Combine them, do what you need to do and Separate them. In this case you will lose their names.

In the current Wings3D implementation, if you start your project having in mind you will need to do this kind of procedure it's a better idea do not take care about the object names. You can create a folder in the Geometry Graph window that will help you to select the entire "block" of object if necessary or even know to which group it's own when you select a piece in the Geometry window.

You can also unwrap each piece separated; combine them; create a new Material and then with the combined object select - or one face of it - go to the main menu Window->UV Editor Window in order to make the islands uniform and arrange them.

At the end, you can separate and rename them and all of the pieces still will be referencing the same material (texture).
I rarely use combined objects, but when I do that I use to choose this approach.

The important thing is that the UVmapping must be the last step in the process.