Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Artifacts when dissolving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There have been plenty of circumstances where I've needed to dissolve a chunk out of an object and then splice vertices together.
Now, obviously when a chunk is deleted off an object there's an empty space that doesn't necessarily need to be filled (as per most video game models having open faces, like background buildings or the rocks in skyrim) if you've ever managed to find one with the bottom above the ground. You'll notice you can see through the rock because the object is like a shell rather than a solid thing.

Anyway most recently I needed to make a triangular ring for a model space station I'm working on, and part of the ring has a space between it, kinda like that droid control ship in star wars.

So I decided to dissolve a set of faces to get the desired space I needed, fully expecting there to be no problem but instead of dissolving all of it only half of them were dissolved and the other half were magically connected to each other in weird ways and **unselectable**
See the problem here?

I like wings3d. it's simple, it's compact. it gets the job done. just some bugs here and there that really make me want to avoid it, though. the more basic operations in a 3d modeling program either don't exist or bug out in this one
Try another way.

(1) Start with the original geometry.
(2) Select the "unwanted" faces.
(3) Top menu: Select|Edge Loop|Edge Loop (or type "L")
(4) RMB|Loop Cut (or type "K")
(5) RMB|Delete (or type "Del")
edge loop doesn't do anything. i only get an error saying "Edge Loop doesn't divide Torus into two or more parts"

It said loop in the option so since there's no real help guide in the program and I can't find any tuts that speak proper english enough for me to understand what they're saying, I tried to use logic. Logic told me that since it says loop, I should select edges that wrap around the area I wanted to separate. So I did. Still got the error.

Fortunately I got extremely lucky. I made a new torus and dissolved a ring of faces and it gave me the cut I wanted without the artifacts.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining. This is by far the easiest and best FREE modeling program I've been able to find. That's saying something. I was so used to using 3DS Max back in vocational school.
Blender sucks lol
I couldn't find any help for blender. No tuts that explained what I wanted and nobody was nice in their forums to help. Took me TWO DAYS to figure out I need to right click to select things, and the interface is so complicated and unorganized.

I admit I'm not a fan of not needing to hold shift or control to select multiple things. To be honest I'm used to needing to do that and then being able to click empty space to deselect things super fast, but i've gotten used to it and to be fair it's a pretty decent thing to have as far as security goes. Keeps you from unselecting needed parts by accident
(12-13-2016, 04:32 PM)xiaoxiao181 Wrote: [ -> ]So I decided to dissolve a set of faces to get the desired space I needed, fully expecting there to be no problem but instead of dissolving all of it only half of them were dissolved and the other half were magically connected to each other in weird ways and **unselectable**
It's not a bug.
It's a misunderstood by your side think it should work that way. Wings3D works with "closed" objects, so it will try to keep it that way when you Dissolve something (that is why it produce good STL output). So, your modelling approach must to take that in account.

You have a option for just ignore faces as it seems you want: use Hole command!

Supposing you are talking about something like we see in the picture (left/bottom) you have two options (right):
[Image: dissolving-connect_zps7d208042.png]
<<edge loop doesn't do anything.>>
Not if it is an open edge loop. Just select all the FACES you want to eliminate and type "L".
Wings will select the external perimeter of that area, a complete and closed edge loop.

What is exactly the difficult of to do this?