Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: right click to remove .hole. from adjacent faces
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
doesn't seem to be working for me?

i'm coming from v95.5. Thought i'd try some basic commands on a sphere to try out the 1.4.1 version.

all the right-click .hole. seems to do is deselect the selected face.

is there any other way to un.hole. ?
is it possible to un.hole more than one face at a time?

thanks

ooops unhide faces works on holes! but only on the whole object.

would still be nice to un.hole adjacents.
(03-16-2013, 09:59 PM)Misty Wisty Wrote: [ -> ]all the right-click .hole. seems to do is deselect the selected face.

ooops unhide faces works on holes! but only on the whole object.
I think you just made confusion about what command you had used, mainly considering this your comment in the thread Hide and Holes:
(03-17-2013, 12:18 AM)Misty Wisty Wrote: [ -> ]i would appreciate more space between hole and hide too.

Anyway, by trying to check what you were talking about, I found that if our object has any material assigned to any face [uv mapped], then we can get a crash by trying unhide a face - not necessary that one uv mapped or its neighbour.

Checked on wings3d_1.4.1.36.g53af2 and wings3d_1.5.pre1.74.g2aee

So, we have a bug around here. Smile

Edit: fixed the text above
@misty:

Yes, if you Hole multiple faces that have any kind of surface variation other than flat, you will lose those faces completely. All the Unhole feature does is create a new planar face where the hole is, regardless of what was there before.

Unhide on the other hand will work as intended. Assuming of course you used the Hide command in the first place.
I am starting to wonder if the new ".hole" is really better than using the old hole material. It is neat that you can create what looks like holes but since they are not real holes and they confuse new users maybe it is not a good thing.

Also, there is the limitation of not being able to restore the original geometry where the .hole was added if there are more than a couple of faces that were turned into .hole. If all faces could be restored it would be okay.

Not sure what kind of nightmares of backward/forward compatibility this would create?? It is like the "New Coke" of Wings3D... Smile

oort
@oort:

See my thread Hide and Holes. Tongue
I assume you mean this thread... Hide and Holes... see you there...

oort
Just updating...
The bug fix should be available in the next release of Wings3d - some bugs fixed.