Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Maybe a wrong material settup in Kerkythea (Answer: No, bad topology)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Micheus ... did you preview the "normals" in wings with show normals ?

Maybe pick 1 or two from your model and actually write down the normal components and make sure they export sanely to Kerkthea ?

I recall an issue with Wings3D on flat objects ... when a normal is reqeusted.

Make sure it works well in wings on flat things. I have not checked in a while.
(01-26-2017, 06:12 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]Micheus ... did you preview the "normals" in wings with show normals ?
yes. See post #10.

Quote:Maybe pick 1 or two from your model and actually write down the normal components and make sure they export sanely to Kerkthea ?
yeah, that's the way to debug it. Smile

Quote:I recall an issue with Wings3D on flat objects ... when a normal is reqeusted.
Thanks to share this. I'm going to try figure out what's happening as soon as possible, but I don't have time for that now.
In the meantime it's recommended to disable the normal exporting to Kerkythea - it will calculate them by itself.
Micheus,
Great model as always. I decided to try rendering your model with YafaRay. See the following post for the results. I did not want to get this thread off track.

YafaRay Render of Monstera Plant

Thanks,
oort
Sorry.. I'm very busy this days for make any test.
Tested with POV-Ray too...
[Image: POV-Ray-leaf_zpsxzbapafn.png]

Definitely the problem is related to the overlapped edges (faces) or even some bottom edges too high.
Although I thought the normals would avoid the renders to misunderstood the bad placed faces, it seems I was really wrong. Sad
(02-01-2017, 08:54 AM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]Although I thought the normals would avoid the renders to misunderstood the bad placed faces, it seems I was really wrong. Sad
In fact, exporting normal with a model where some edges intercept with others, only worsens the result. Because the engine tries to soften the model using the normal information of each face.
Micheus,
Is Pov-Ray doing the opposite of KT? Didn't exporting without normals make things look better in KT? It looks like for Pov-Ray you are showing that without normals looks worse.

I will be away from my desk for a little while.

oort
(02-01-2017, 03:26 PM)oort Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like for Pov-Ray you are showing that without normals looks worse.
Yeah, but I think that could be a feature.
Not exporting the normal make POV-Ray to render flat faces (triangles).

KT seems to work better with that povmaniac said. On my view point it's doing the right thing by looking the faces with normals pointing to the camera and do not using the faces with opposed normals to smooth them (in this case). Probably it do that to the those faces if I put a reflective object behind of the leaf. I'm going to try.

By the other way, POV-Ray deal better with the alpha texture, since I don't need to use any mask to get it correctly rendered.
By doing a closeup it's possible to see that the image which KT computed the normals still has some artefacts, but its far better than that one we export normals from Wings3D.

Here is the leaf's bottom faces mirrored:
[Image: leaf-closeup-WN_zps235a14e0.jpg]
Pages: 1 2