Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Happy New Year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It happened too me, too. Specially at video games ones, is very hard to convince a boss, project manager, intermediate boss, etc to use anything but the standard tool. I got them to accept it after watching me modeling with it the main characters, as they got to know Wings advantages in real time... Smile But frankly, was more of a "hey, this guy is weird, but does the work, and fast, let him work like that" . While all the team just used Max for everything. (also as i was very often the main (or the only one) characters and props modeler...). I used it too, at everything else, and...for modeling also when it was someone else's model and was fixing/adding some stuff in a point more advanced for the pipeline.

Is kind of harder, you cannot allow your self errors or slow downs you would while using Max/maya, as they are waiting for the minimum sign of that, specially when they still don't know you and your work, and you have to really make it totally perfect and problems free for any of your file imports into Max or Maya.

But is doable. Smile

They mostly fear lack of compatibility in the pipeline, and also, let's admit it, video game industry for a very long time has had very rigid structures and rules inside companies. Now I dunno, been a while at other matters. But in my times, any difference in workflow, or a bit of a free take on some things would easily seen as a non tolerable rebellion. Biggrin
I was lucky enough to be the first 3D artist at our small game studio, so my choice was never questioned. I don't work with characters, as I don't have much experience with it, and do mostly environment/props anyway. The character people all use Maya though.

I do often wonder how much faster I could rig a character compared to Maya, if that rigging plugin had ever been completed.

It's cool to see other developers also prefer Wings3D!
Pages: 1 2