Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [solved] 2.2.1 crashed after Start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Win7 + AMD Radeon 7550M/7650M Graphics card. No problem with 2.1.7
Any hint?
jilani, take a look at the previous post Immediately crashed after Start.
It's probably the same problem. Do you can provide us the .dump file?
Wings may crash during start now if there are bad OpenCL drivers, or badly installed.
It should work with no OpenCL drivers.

Wings should work with old OpenCL version but it seems in the other thread that something
goes wrong with old Nvidia cards/drivers.
That one is fixable, but if it crashes when wings checks if OpenCL is available it's hard to fix,
that must be done by the user by uninstalling the OpenCL part of the drivers.
Or manually editing wings preference file may be the another solution for bad drivers.
No .dump file is generated. The program hangs infinitely as the menu appears, so I have to kill it. The driver of the graphics card is up to date. To continue to use the program I have re-installed the previous version (2.1.7).
Thank you however.
(12-06-2018, 12:37 PM)jilani Wrote: [ -> ]No .dump file is generated.
Can you check if maybe an Erlang dump file was generated?
Look for a file named erl_crash.dump at the install path - place like this C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.2.1\bin
In order to try to understand what is happening in your case, I would ask you to create a new shortcut to Wings3D (or copy the current one and edit it) in order we can display the Erlang console and maybe get some information we are not able to see.

It should look like something like this "C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.2.1\bin\werl.exe" -run wings start_halt -extra "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Wings3D"
in which "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Wings3D" is a folder where the preferences.txt is stored.

If you can do that and it works well, you must to see an Erlang console. Then, try to see if there is any message there while Wings3D main window is frozen.
Solved!
I have added "{cl_type,cpu}." to the file "preferences.txt" and this has solved the problem.
Thank you very much for your help and the really great job you have done.
Yes, that is a way to fix the problem if it's related to the OpenCL driver - and it looks like it was the problem. Thanks for the feedback.