Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Shrink Wrap of sorts.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Very very interesting Mark... bravo, this was something needed in Wings. If you remember we had, a lot time ago, a discussion about such a tool. It needs however some 'polishing': finding a way of tightening the wrap mesh's quads (or triangles) so that it may constitute a 'nice' (easily workable and renderable) mesh, for example...

Needless to say this tool opens the way for 'cloth' modelling, also, in Wings... a very important chapter in modelling...

Great tool... with highly promising perspectives as to its further development and use varieties...

Do you have any release of ML containing it?
It is released ... I doubt it will have any utility for making cloth. This only moves source vertex to closest target vertex. Fairly brain-dead operation. I might need a better name for this simple thing.
Rather than cloth, I'd have thought that something like this ... if working correctly ... could have better use in the world of boolean retopo ... for some basic / simple shapes, anyway.

But there's just a few issues to sort out before it gets to that stage, from what I saw, anyway ... after a brief play.

pp
Sure, it is in a very initial stage... with some tweaks, though, it can do the work both for 'cloth' modelling and the retopo processes...

The cloth simulations begin with such 'collision' detections... the following wrinkle simulations are the second, more advanced topic. So, let not be pessimistic... everything begins with one humble step... : - )
ggaliens,
In the past when I was playing with sculpted prims I was wanting something like this to wrap a simple prim shape around a more complex shape. I will have to try it and see how well it works. Just out of curiosity since I have lost interest in sculpted prims... Smile

For creating clothes I think the Shell Extrude command works pretty good. I only did a quick test a long time ago.

I think shrink wrap is a good name. Blender has a shrink wrap tool that can be used for making clothes.

It would be interesting if this could be the first step in a cloth simulation. Drop a plane on a table to make a table cloth. Maybe use hard edges around top edge of table to define point where contact with table stops???

You have forced me to post the following link to a Pov-Ray cloth simulation program... Pov-Ray cloth

Also, getting even further off topic, can some of the shrink wrap code be used to improved scatter bodies so that spheres placed on a plane do not penetrate the surface of the plane?

Edit: I did a quick test with a sculpted prim model and I see that the original mesh shape that gets shrinked onto the target does not keep all of its original faces so it will not work with sculpted prims. No big deal... just an FYI for any who might still play with sculpted prims.

oort
OK ... I could definately make a tablecloth with this plugin
That is AWESOME! I can think of a whole bunch of things I can do with that. . . (thumbs up).
Now it is even more interesting... : - )
Pages: 1 2