Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Recalling a fixed camera configuration.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greeting to the community! Been a long time since I've participated here. Years ... I think. It's very nice to see W3D is still in development as it's always been my "go to" modeler in the past. Kudos and thanks to the W3D faithful. Smile

My question, is there anyway to set up and recall a "fixed" camera configuration? I'm using W3D to produce models that will be rendered in isometric view, ie; 120 degrees on each axis with a 30 degree camera angle for a game asset project. I'd like to use the regular pan and zoom controls during the modeling phase but return to a "fixed" camera set up for renders. I intend to use Povray for the rendering.

Any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers and thanks!
SiriusCG, welcome back. Smile

We don't have a way to add this settings - as far as I know.
But, We can enter camera location and its focal point which I think it can help you.
Do that:
- Change the view to Orthograph [O];
- In menu View->Numeric Camera Position inform: 7.0, 7.0, 7.0 for the Position and click in OK;
- In menu Windows->Manage Saved Views will display a window on which you use the context menu to Save... this new camera settings;

Now, you can work as usual and always you need to see the Isometric view you just click on the name in the saved views window.

The only problem is that the Orthograph or Perspective mode information isn't stored, so if you are in Perspective mode you will need to switch to Ortographic mode (it doesn't mater if before or after the restore the view).

I used Gimp (angle and length meter tool) to measure the result and it's very close to the values you are looking for.
I hope this help you.
Hello micheus Smile
Thank you for the information and the testing you did in the Gimp. I've followed your recommendation and set up my camera as you described and it should work for my needs.

I'm sure to be back with more questions. Smile

Cheers.
I decided to create a plugin for a precise setup. Checkout the thread Isometric View