Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [Not a bug] Sub menu "Every Nth Ring" and Every Nth Loop" seem inverted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wings 3D 2.2.4

It seems that in the Edge Loop sub Menu:

"Every Nth Ring" and "Every Nth Loop" are inverted.

"Every Nth Ring" acts as "Every Nth Loop" and vice-versa.

That is: when I select an Edge loop and when I want to select the second third or Nth edge Loops, I must use the "Every Nth Ring" sub menu and when I select an Edge Ring and I want to select the second, third or Nth Edge Rings, I must use the "Every Nth Loop sub menu.

See also the dialogue box for the "Nth..." that are correct!

By the way there is the same mismatch between the word Ring and Loop in Wings 3D 1.5.4 for the Edge loop submenu for "Every Nth Ring "that acts as Every Nth Loop, but for the "Nth..." they write also "Nth Ring"!

Regards
Ramjet, I don't see any problem related to inversion.
I just checked in v2.2.4 (which should be the one you are reporting) and it's working as expected. The "Ring" will result in "parallel" edges selected and the "Loop" will result in "continuous" edges selected:
Hi Micheus,

I am probably too Cartesian and an old mathematician, but I only said that the words Ring and Loops are inverted in the submenus Nth loops and North Rings.
The loops are only continuous closed edges even if in the informatics world they can be other things like straights. The best definition is the edge loops in Wings 3D
Rings are disclosed edges around a circle (example straights all around a cylinder axis).

So see the followings simple examples :

https://zupimages.net/up/19/18/sgig.png

https://zupimages.net/up/19/18/83o4.png

http://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=19/18/5by5.png

So it is mathematically illogical to obtain real Loops selections with the Nth Ring submenu and to obtains Rings selections with the Nth Loops submenu.

Regards
Hi Micheus,

You get exactly the same problem that I explain with your own example on a sphere.

You start with an Edge selection and not a loop selection and you apply the Every Nth Rings and you get beautiful bits of Loops (the second edges), just stoke L and all the loops will appear.

Then when you Aptly Every Nth Loop you obtain a selection of non continuous second Edges and not a loop. That is just a bit of Rings. Just stroke G and all the Rings will appear.

Regards
Ramjet, I believe it is as it was agreed for other 3D apps.

Take a look at 3ds Max doc and you will find the same concept:

Maybe if we put an "in" in the text it would to fix the misunderstanding:
-> Every Nth in Ring
-> Every Nth in Loop

What do you think?
Hi Micheus,
Now we got it!
As it was written, I was thinking in Selection as all the Select menu and the Edge loop sub menu:

Loop selection to Second third or Nth loop selection with the "Nth Ring" tool.
Ring Selection to Second, third or Nth Ring selection with the "Nth Loop" tool.

So I tell you that the word Ring and Loop were inverted.

If you add "in" you refer now to the direction of the second, third and Nth of a selection (1 edge, few Edges, Edge loop, ring etc..).

"Every Nth in Ring" refer to the cylinder Axis direction, or the meridian, or North-south pole direction for a sphere.
"Every Nth in Loop" refer to the circular direction.

So now the naming is better and correct and more universal than what I was telling in the inversion of the words. So forget it and stay in that naming way to be coherent. For me it is easy to jump from "selection" to "direction of a selection", but general users may not understand that concept of direction. It would be interesting that they give their opinion if it is valuable or not to add at the end of the naming of this tool, the word "Dir." for direction .

Regards