Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: I need help with smooth OpenCL proxy level
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello! My name is Nestor, from Argentina.
First of all I want to thank you for developing Wings 3D.
I use it since several years, I love its features.
My English is poor, bad... I will try to explain what happens when I enable the smooth "OpenCl proxy level" on the AMD card (Radeon Rx 580 or Radeon Pro 560), but an image is much more than words.
This problem -artifacts- on objects didn't occur never whith my older NVIDIA card or when I used INTEL integrated graphics -very old laptots-. Then, I supose that is a problem with the drivers of the graphics cards.
I tryed with 32 and 64 bit versions of Wings 2.2.2 and is the same.
I'm not a programmer, I only enjoy to design with this great software. Please be indulgent with me.
My system is Windows 10 64 bits and latest drivers for GPU.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Best regards.
I have missed your comment sorry.

Hmm it should work on AMD and it have worked on sons AMD card (480?) when I last tested there,
he have now changed card so I have not tested that latest releases.

Sounds like something broke with the new drivers or that OpenCL 2.0 behaves differently,
than OpenCL 1.2.

For now you can retry with different versions of drivers.
I have access to one old AMD card, I will test there and see if that works.
Hi! I have difficulties with 'OpenCl proxy level' again, I can't use it to design. The option in preferences is disabled. I haven't used Wings for over a year because I was so busy. Now I am using another and old computer and the GPU operates with OpenCl 1.2 and OpenGl 4.x according to the software 'Geeks3D GPU Caps viewer' and passed very well all the tests -3D demos-. Has the version of OpenCl needed to run Wings changed? I'm not a programmer, I love Wings. My system is Windows 10 64-bit and AMD Radeon 6750M.
Wings3D log:
wings-2.2.7
Reading preferences from: c:/Users/Nes/AppData/Roaming/Wings3D/Preferences.txt
OpenCL not available: {opencl_failed_previously,
"c:/Users/Nes/AppData/Local/Wings3D/Cache/opencl_tmp.txt"}
Could not initialize OpenCL: env lighting limited

Thanks in advance for any help.
Best regards.
Nestor
Hi nescki

Did you tried to remove the "c:/Users/Nes/AppData/Local/Wings3D/Cache/opencl_tmp.txt" file?

It's created automatically to prevent a further crash in case Wings3D fails to initialise OpenCL. Eventually, that can be "temporary" (don't ask me why, but I get that sometimes when using a PC with a Intel onboard GPU only).

So, try to remove the file and let us know what happen.
Thank you very much, micheus!
But when I delete that file it's recreated again when Wings starts and 'OpenCl proxy level' continues disabled. The only solution I found is to launch Wings and remove 'opencl_tmp.txt' when Wings is running and that way 'OpenCl proxy level' is enabled and run smoothly
And delete the lines in Preferences:
{cl_lightcol,{1.0,1.0,1.0}}.
{cl_lightpos,{2.5,2.5,0.0}}.
because with those lines Wings never finishes starting with the message 'Building envmaps' an I have to force to quit it.
I know, I need a new computer!
Just in case:
log:
wings-2.2.7
Reading preferences from: c:/Users/Nes/AppData/Roaming/Wings3D/Preferences.txt
Could not initialize OpenCL: env lighting limited

Best regards!