Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [fixed] comma vs dot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi there,

W3D 2.2.4
Win 10

I'm not sure if this is a bug or needs only some improvement, but whenever I use 'dot' in my numeric keypad I get 'comma'
This is a little bit annoying and for other 3D software it works: dot = dot and not dot = comma
Otherwise, all numeric input in W3D have to be followed by 'main' numeric keys...

BR, Hank
I've reported the same thing a long time ago and IIRC it's not considered a bug. I really wish I could change the behaviour in Wings (It used to behave like a dot), because no matter what I've tried to do, to change that behaviour in Windows hasn't worked.
I'm not sure that can be just changed. But, I always thought it would be better if it could to use the OS locale settings.

In my numeric keypad I don't have a "dot" but a "comma" - we use comma for decimals and dot for thousands (and I have another keyboard with both in the keypad). Although it would help me make comma=dot, I'm pretty sure there is a way to make it work right - which means I will alway have to use the dot in the main keyboard. Smile
Should I always translate commas between numbers to dot then, i.e. 1,2 becomes 1.2 ?
We use to evaluate math expressions (so you can write 5.0*pi inside your dialogs)
and erlang expects dot to be the delimiter between integer and fractions.

You can write: "A = 5.4, B=4.3, sin(deg2rad A+B)" where comma separates the expressions,
so it might be confusing tol allow "A = 5,4, B=4,3, sin(deg2rad A+B)" ??
(10-22-2019, 01:36 PM)dgud Wrote: [ -> ]... erlang expects dot to be the delimiter between integer and fractions.
If Erlang doesn't handle OS locale information, then ...
(10-22-2019, 01:36 PM)dgud Wrote: [ -> ]Should I always translate commas between numbers to dot then, i.e. 1,2 becomes 1.2 ?
... The answer is YES.
Erlang is a programming language, no programming language syntax is
dependent on locale that would be weird. You would not be able to compile
code I had written because we had different locale.

Normally the programming language is not exposed in an application, though,
but I thought it was a cool feature.

Wings doesn't handle locale, wxWidgets have some support but I don't understand
it and I believe it's to automatic for my liking, i.e. uses OS locale whatever I want.
(10-23-2019, 07:02 AM)dgud Wrote: [ -> ]Normally the programming language is not exposed in an application,
I was considering just that. But, as the math expressions are available in Erlang I thought it would handle locale only in this situation. Smile

Let's make all comma = dot and solve the problem to anyone. (including me Biggrin)
I probably shouldn't post in this thread since I may not understand the issue... Smile Sad

I think Nova wants dot = dot and comma = comma.

I think he is reporting that currently Wings is dot = comma on his keypad, when it should be dot = dot.

Sorry if I do not understand and I am confusing things. I get dot=dot in Windows Wings 2.2.3 on my keypad.

oort
No problem oort
maybe we are talking about a different keypad: an additional one; a notebook one;...

I my case, what I can check and experience is about these bellow:
1) a keyboard with a keypad which its layout has only a "comma" and that works like a "comma";

2) and another keyboard with a keypad which its layout has both a "comma" and a "dot". Each one works like it should be (comma=comma and dot=dot).

(*these are not my keyboards - just the layout)

As I said, for me it would be much better have the comma converted to dot. Biggrin
Also, I just checked that Wings3D doesn't really do any kind of translation currently. It just handle what the wxWidgets library gives to it - and wx module should be processing correctly the keys (WXK_NUMPAD_DECIMAL and WXK_DECIMAL)
Pages: 1 2